25 or 27 Renegade on Stratos 201?

I have a '97 Stratos 201 with a 2001 Johnson 225 HO. I am running a 13 1/2 x 27 Renegade prop. It runs about 5700-5800 rpm wot, and I can hit 70-71 mph with a light load. Would a 25 serve me better all around? Thanks for the info.

At 57-5800 your already at or just a tad over the max suggested rpm for your motor. Going from a 27 Renegade to a 25 Renegade would increase your rpms and you do not need that. I have a suggestion but first I want to know your typical load...shallow water anchors? two bubbas? livewell full of water? Bass Pro shop store? or do you have a typical normal or light load with an occasional heavy load?

3. Member
    No shallow water anchors, usually me and friend about 190 lbs each, 30 gallons gas, average load of tackle, hopefully full livewells!

Something to remember when comparing a Renegade Bass to other props. Renegade props only have a 13.5" diameter so you can turn a higher pitch Renegade because with less overall surface diameter it's easier to spin. I guarantee if you put a 15-5/8 Bravo in 27 pitch on your motor you will lose a minimum of at least 3-400 rpm. They are both 27 pitch but diameter makes one easier and one harder to turn.

Now with that being said on YOUR PARTICULAR hull and motor combination I would try an original Raker 26 or a Raker II 25 for bow lift and best speed. I would also consider Mark Croxten's Razor 3 in a 25 pitch. If you have a jack plate then set the prop to pad at 3.5" and see what happens. I would go up .25" until I lose water pressure or gain rpm but lose speed due to sudden rpm increase of slip because it was too high. Once you find what is too high come back down .25" or a tad more.

If you like the load carrying capability and the bite of a 4 blade then try a Bravo I XS 24 or Mark Croxten's Razor 4 XL 24. Really if you want to know what best suits your situation call Mark Croxten. The more information you can give him the better...ie:current boat and motor, current prop, current rpm and typical load. Then tell him what your goal is ie: speed, lift, holeshot or a combination of all around performance. Mark has forgot more about props than what myself or most other people will ever know. He will gladly point you in the right direction. Just be aware if you change props you will also need an appropriate hub hit and mounting hardware and also remember 4 blades and 3 blades sometime like different prop to pad heights.

Give Mark a call. His advice is golden... http://www.marksprops.com/

5. Member
    Thx much. I sent my prop to Mark Croxton to be blue printed and just got it back. Will run it this weekend and post results.