Calcutta vs low profile, new stuff like 13 fishing, lews etc, smoothest?

Ok fellas, I'm getting ready to set up my new st. Croix Avid x. This will be used to slow role spinnerbaits. All the guys I fish with are sticking with the calcutta's which seemed super smooth and have the low gear ratio like we need. If I buy used I can get a Calcutta in the $150 range. 13 fishing have some sharp looking reels like the concept C and I have several lews. So what reels all the smoothest in this category for this used price range low profile verse the tried-and-true Calcutta? Any advice would be appreciated thanks guys

2. Banned
    Calcutta or Conquest. All day, any day.

3. Member
    I can't say I've used them all, but 13 Fishing are the best reels I've owned. I have 2 models (soon to have a 3rd when it arrives), the Inception ($120 reel) and Concept A ($175). I have a Concept E on the way ($390...not what I paid though) because I wanted to try out a sub-6oz reel. FWIW you can get a Concept A for $140 new, and a Concept C for $184 new from land big fish with the discount code.

I will say one of the biggest draws for me to 13, as most reels all cast and retrieve pretty much the same for me, is that I can alter things. I have 2 boxes of extra spools in different colors, all color coded. 30lb braid is on lime green spools. 16-17lb fluoro is on black and blue spools, 12lb fluoro on black silver spools, etc. I have the reels color coded...6.6:1 green handles/star drag/tension knob, 7.3:1 black and blue, 8.1:1 yellow and black. Makes it easy to see what line I have on what speed reel at a quick glance.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

4. Member
    There is simply no comparison between a Calcutta especially a TE or GT or even a Conquest vs anything offered by 13 Fishing. Heck those gold colored round reels are among the smoothest reels ever created and will last for just about ever. These were also flagship reels for Shimano along with their LP Antares/Calaias reels. If you want something with a lower gear ratio, various sizes and line capacities, and a smooth solid retrieve I would select the Calcutta/Conquest line of reels.

5. Member
    Thanks guys!

6. Member
    I have a 101HG and a 401 Conquest. They are smooth. But not the smoothest reels I have.
    My Antares DC MD is a bit smoother. Than I would actually put a Curado K and then comes the new Morethan.

For the money the Curado k is sensational!

7. Member
    I am still a Calcutta fan too. Regular Calcutta te digital I like them all. The 100 size fits my hand like a glove.