Loc-R-Bar on 191

I just bought an 1998 191 SCX and want to add a loc-r-bar up front. Just wondering how well the fit on the 191. What’s the best position to drill the holes for the best fit. What are some things to watch for as I drill the holes? Any wires or anything in the way I need to be aware of? Any pointers would be appreciated.

If the front install stall goes well I may add to the back for the batteries. Anyone done that? Tips and pointers are appreciated.

I did my 96 202, I watched the loc r bar video they have for installation and it happens to be a champion.
    i found pvc up high in my gunnels that is used to route wires. I was careful and it didn’t effect me much.
    Open your lockers and get your hand up there and feel around...
    I’m happy I did the install, it will slow down a thief but believe me if someone wanted to pry it off it wouldn’t be hard to do!

3. Member
    If you haven't installed yet, I have one on my 191, can take some pics for ya in a bit today.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

4. Member
    That would be great? I’m hoping to install it tomorrow afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    If you haven't installed yet, I have one on my 191, can take some pics for ya in a bit today.

5. Member
    Looks like I went about 14.5" forward from the consoles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    That’s awesome and will really help. Possible stupid question, but for the screws on the mounts did you just put them in the fiberglass without any backing. Just not tightening them down too much so they don’t strip. After a pilot hole of course.

Your Champion looks really nice and clean. Did you replace the wind screens ? If so, where did you get them?

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Looks like I went about 14.5" forward from the consoles.

7. Member
    I aim for the pilot hole to be the same diameter or slightly, very slightly, larger than the shaft diameter of the screw. The fiberglass there is very dense, should have no problem holding with a proper size pilot hole. Also, after the pilot hole is in, its good to select a drill bit slightly bigger than the screw thread diameter and run it in reverse to create a bevel at the surface of the hole through the thickness of the gel coat. If you don't, 100% guaranteed you'll get chip out of gel coat when you go to put the screw in, which could possibly send out a crack later on.

Same with the bigger hole, run the bit in reverse for a good long while to get well through gel coat to prevent chipping.

Thanks for the compliments. Boat is better than new now, been working on a rebuild/ restoration over the last few years. I think I got the wind screens through C&O.

8. Member
    Awesome! Thanks for the tips and tricks. One more question. Do you leave the Loc-R-Bar on while driving down the highway or take it off? I heard from another post that it could cause cracks.

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I have always towed with bar in place. Never. Had any issues or cracks!

10. Member
    Thanks Lea!

Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    I have always towed with bar in place. Never. Had any issues or cracks!

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Sorry for weird typing! Auto-correct at its finest! Congrats on your Champion!