St. Lawrecene beginning of June?

Me and my buddy have talked about coming up to New York for several years now and are looking at coming up there possibly the first week of Juneish? How will the fishing be that time of year? Would it be better to come a little earlier or a little later? Any recommendations on where to stay? Thanks.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    Me and my buddy have talked about coming up to New York for several years now and are looking at coming up there possibly the first week of Juneish? How will the fishing be that time of year? Would it be better to come a little earlier or a little later? Any recommendations on where to stay? Thanks.
    Can't fish for bass on the St lawrence before the season opening third sat in June. as far as where should you stay all depends on what part of the river you wanna fish and be located near there are literally hundreds of good places to stay on the thousand islands I can give you some recommendations if you have an idea what part your looking to fish. Just from Waddington to the mouth of Ontario your talking like 85 miles or so.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 03-04-2019 at 03:23 PM.

3. Member
    Like KandK said, bass fishing is off limits until the third weekend in June (June 15th this year) on the 1000 islands and certain counties (Jefferson, Hamilton, etc.). If you’re looking at mainly fishing the river id stay near Alex bay, it’s about the midway point for the fishery and right in the middle of the islands. The best hotel that’s closest to a ramp I’ve stayed at is the river view in Waddington, less than a mile from the town ramp.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    thanks for the advice fellas....with the season not being in for bass does that mean you can not actively fish for them or you just can't keep them?

5. Member
    Unfortunately it means you can’t actively fish for bass. There’s certain bodies of water in NY that have a special regulation that prevents targeting bass before the season opens. It sucks because It would be a slugfest up there but the DEC patrol it pretty good.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mar.../fishguide.pdf > page 36, about halfway down the table is the St Lawrence special regulations. The way I read it is any part of Lake Ontario in Jefferson county and the mouth of the river downstream is off limits.

But If you’re looking to catch smallies in first weekend in June, I’d hit Oneida. Or just postpone it for a few weeks and go up to the river when it opens, just get a room early on because a lot of clubs and local tournaments will be looking to fish that river too
    1995 Ranger 481v

6. Member
    thanks for the info.....How would the fishing be on Oneida at that time or would it be worth waiting for the St. Lawrence to open up? Honestly we are just looking to catch a bunch of smallmouth, I'd be tickled with a bunch of 3/5 pounders...open to any suggestions really..

7. Member
    Oneida is great in June, you can catch a lot of 2-3lb fish with a few 4s mixed in. If you want thec 4-5lb class fish, then the 1000 islands is the way to go. Honestly you have the time you could hit both places especially if you stay around Clayton or Alex bay on the St Lawrence. You have to drive by the Oneida shores ramp to get from Clayton to VA haha. Spend a few days on the river then hit Oneida on your way home for a few hours
    1995 Ranger 481v

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    I'd be tickled with a bunch of 3/5 pounders
    wouldnt we all!

9. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    [QUOTE=PsuHntr;10097090 I'd be tickled with a bunch of 3/5 pounders...open to any suggestions really..[/QUOTE]

Go to Presque Isle Bay in Pa.... Can't go wrong and if the big water is rough, stay in the bay.

10. Tony C
    Northern Champlain is great fishing for smallies. Above the Plattsburgh area.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    Go to Presque Isle Bay in Pa.... Can't go wrong and if the big water is rough, stay in the bay.
    thanks, I'm originally from Pa....Erie woud be much closer I think

12. Member
    3-4 can be done on Oneida lake.. ..find groups in the shallows or schools deep..
    good luck

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360