Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

3. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    A BBC member
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

4. Member
    Whitetail buck. A doe has loose pellets.
    2015 189 trx

5. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Looks like deer poop, clumped up like that generally means a bedding or feeding area as some research has found.
    LeaLea

You have to taste it to know for sure.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    Whitetail buck. A doe has loose pellets.
    Not true..wags has it figured out...here's the scoop...the higher the moisture in their browse, the more likely to clump together... the drier the food, the more fiber like...

Of course you might find a plop of pellet-looking poop in the woods. Deer and their ungulate cousins also plop out piles of poop from time to time. This usually occurs in the spring and summer months when their diet has a higher moisture content. In the fall and winter, browse and grasses dry out giving the pellets a more fiber-like appearance...

Pretty common down here..
    Last edited by mrlawler1; 03-03-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

It could be whitetail but black bear scat looks similar http://icwdm.org/inspection/blackbrowndroppings.aspx

I thought whitetail was always pellets. Thanks for the info.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Not true..wags has it figured out...here's the scoop...the higher the moisture in their browse, the more likely to clump together... the drier the food, the more fiber like...

Of course you might find a plop of pellet-looking poop in the woods. Deer and their ungulate cousins also plop out piles of poop from time to time. This usually occurs in the spring and summer months when their diet has a higher moisture content. In the fall and winter, browse and grasses dry out giving the pellets a more fiber-like appearance...

Well said, I still can't convince some guys that the only way to know if that is buck poop is to actually watch him poop.

Whitetail or someone on pain meds

12. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TJS209 View Post
    Well said, I still can't convince some guys that the only way to know if that is buck poop is to actually watch him poop.
    I did read a study years ago that said bucks have more pellets than does, I'm sure if that make social media in the future we will see hunters counting pellets
    LeaLea

Quote Originally Posted by TJS209 View Post
    That and the dew claws...there's always someone in the crowd that swears up and down that every deer leaving dew claw points in the dirt or in the mud is a buck...

Jonathan Hillstrand

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    I did read a study years ago that said bucks have more pellets than does, I'm sure if that make social media in the future we will see hunters counting pellets
    When you say though I want to think that some.of these old does I got on my place have to let out a little more than a young buck...it just works that way....not sure counting pellets would do some of these guys any good if they happened to run up on a pile left by fat ass Jane the doe...she'd have em really fooled...funny to see though..

Jonathan Hillstrand

15. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    When you say though I want to think that some.of these old does I got on my place have to let out a little more than a young buck...it just works that way....not sure counting pellets would do some of these guys any good if they happened to run up on a pile left by fat ass Jane the doe...she'd have em really fooled...funny to see though..
    The best education is time wisely spent in the woods. As many here if you have the "true" passion most question will be answered for you.
    LeaLea

My buddy had a whitetail deer farm. You truly cant tell Male or female by the poop. Watched yearling deer poop huge clumps and 200+ inch bucks poop a pile of tiny pellets.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Exactly!

2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri