How deep of water do they actually work in?

So an 8' talon or pp...does 8' mean they will touch bottom in 8' of water? Said another way, how deep of water do 8' models (or 10') work in? Thx!

Tom Gates, 2005 Triton TR196DC LE, 200 Opti

All things being equal each will touch in the advertised depth. Will they hold at that depth, no. There are a lot of variables but I knew on most day's my PP's were only effective in 6.5-7' of water and my 12' Talon was only good to 11'. Subtract for rough water, super hard bottom, etc.
    USMC Vet!

10' talons extend out to 10 ft. On hard bottom my 10 talons hold at 8 ft of water reading from my trolling motor transducer. That is about 20" deeper then the bottom of them. If you mount them lower depending on the boat they may drag during takeoff. I probably could lower them some and be able to go a little deeper. Never used power poles so can't help you there.
    2016 Skeeter Tzx190 Yamaha 175 SHO

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Good rule of thumb is to subtract a foot

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Good rule of thumb is to subtract a foot
    Good advice...I would also like to say when your on your depth finder and deploy them your transducer is typically around 15" more or less deep so when you see a reading of 8 ft the actual depth is more like 9-9'3" of water. Now in my situation my 8 ft Talons sit about 3-4" into the water when the boat is not on plane so I gain back some of the offset. At a depth finder reading of 7.4 FT mine touch bottom but the conditions of wind and current dictate if they will hold. If its calm then yes they hold. If any wind or current present I need my depth finder to reading to be closer to 7ft.
    Last edited by JR19; 03-03-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Gene, you can adjust your sonar to read the actual depth no matter how deep the transducer is or is not.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    Thanks for the info.