Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cashew curry chicken

Posted this in the ethnic food thread in the lounge but figured I would add it here as well. I tried it this weekend and it is great. I didnt use the blended cashew method he describes as my blender was busted. So I used heavy cream and crushed cashews into it. Also added some bell pepper and jalapenos.

Hardest part was just getting all the spices but it is well worth it.

I have a store with bulk spices for a helluva lot less than those bottles. Just thawed the chicken, going to toast the spice for the GM mix. The house is gonna smell GOOD!

Killing off the turkey tonight so I'll prep this for tomorrow.

And thanks for this. I always like to change it up.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 03-03-2019 at 05:45 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I have a store with bulk spices for a helluva lot less than those bottles. Just thawed the chicken, going to toast the spice for the GM mix. The house is gonna smell GOOD!

Killing off the turkey tonight so I'll prep this for tomorrow.

And thanks for this. I always like to change it up.
    I need to find a place for bulk spices. This recipe uses a bundle and I would like to mix up a large batch all at once.

I go to ethnic shops. Mexican, Asian, Middle Eastern. They usually have stuff you don't find elsewhere. The organic places also seem to have a good selection at decent prices.

This is what I just roasted in a CI pan. Ground it up and mixed up my chicken. Most of what is there I had. Needed cardamom. Probably less than $2 in the mess. Have a bunch left for next time.

5. Member
    I go to ethnic shops. Mexican, Asian, Middle Eastern. They usually have stuff you don't find elsewhere. The organic places also seem to have a good selection at decent prices.

This is what I just roasted in a CI pan. Ground it up and mixed up my chicken. Most of what is there I had. Needed cardamom. Probably less than $2 in the mess. Have a bunch left for next time.

I need to look into doing that. Didnt really consider grinding my own stuff but im not against it. Sure would be fresh.

Doing this is the difference between a store bought tomato and a fresh homegrown one. The flavors just burst out. What you get with making your own vs packaged powders is the oils in the seeds. They make the flavor pop. And...You know exactly what you're cooking with. I do not like salt. I also change stuff up. It's fun to customize things.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 03-03-2019 at 07:57 PM.

7. Member
    Doing this is the difference between a store bought tomato and a fresh homegrown one. The flavors just burst out. What you get with making your own vs packaged powders is the oils in the seeds. They make the flavor pop. And...You know exactly what you're cooking with. I do not like salt. I also change stuff up. It's fun to customize things.
    So what spices are you roasting for your GM ? Im also cutting out as much salt as possible which is why I really like Thai or Indian food. You really dont have to use much salt yet you still get great flavor.

Cooking this type of food is definitely a first for me but so far im very pleased.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-i...-masala-995690

I used this. Added some bay leaf, left out the cloves. The wife can't handle real spicy stuff anymore.

9. Member
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-i...-masala-995690

I used this. Added some bay leaf, left out the cloves. The wife can't handle real spicy stuff anymore.
    Thanks ill try that.

It was pretty good! Easy to make. The cashew juice only took 30 seconds to make in the blender. My spice mix was tasty but mild. Throw in some cayenne or cloves and it'll heat up.

11. Member
    It was pretty good! Easy to make. The cashew juice only took 30 seconds to make in the blender. My spice mix was tasty but mild. Throw in some cayenne or cloves and it'll heat up.
    Yes it is pretty easy to make but very flavorful which is what I like. Might sound crazy but I think it could use a bit of peanut butter in the cashew mix.

I think there's a ton of ways to play with this recipe. Greek yogurt. Pecans. Nutella? Never had it but I think it's hazelnut. I may try it with lean pork loin.

Or SHRIMP!! This would be great with shrimp.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 03-04-2019 at 09:20 PM.

13. Member
    Well here is the next im trying. Worth the watch if for no other reason than the chick on camera is smoking hot.

14. Member
    Was speaking to the guys who own the local gas station. (Of course they are Indian) They gave me the name of a local store which sells all the spices in bulk. Googled them and they allow online shopping if you dont have one near. Was just easier for me to go through the site and make my order which they will ship. Even with shipping its WAYYY WAYYYYY cheaper than walmart.

https://store.patelbros.com/

We have many ethnic shops around here. Asian, Mexican, Middle Eastern/Halal. The organic place nearby has tons of bulk stuff. If anybody is buying those McCormick bottles they be getting robbed. Just getting ready to make chicken pho. Roasted the spices and the stock is simmering.

For rubs and stuff I just use the cheap stuff from wally world, $1 bottle garlic powder, etc. I save the bottles and fill them with fresh stuff, just re-label it and put it up. When I'm in a different country I try to find time to hit a local grocery store for different spices. South/Central America have great stuff. I've found that the chefs are very friendly to us 'out of towners' when we ask (politely) about their cooking. I got some good info from them.

Big cities have some small mom & pop shops that are hidden treasures the average suburbanites never see. I worked in Detroit for a few years. Folks can make all the smartass comments they want, but by digging around a bit you can get some good foods there.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 03-10-2019 at 02:13 PM.

16. Member
    We have many ethnic shops around here. Asian, Mexican, Middle Eastern/Halal. The organic place nearby has tons of bulk stuff. If anybody is buying those McCormick bottles they be getting robbed. Just getting ready to make chicken pho. Roasted the spices and the stock is simmering.

For rubs and stuff I just use the cheap stuff from wally world, $1 bottle garlic powder, etc. I save the bottles and fill them with fresh stuff, just re-label it and put it up. When I'm in a different country I try to find time to hit a local grocery store for different spices. South/Central America have great stuff. I've found that the chefs are very friendly to us 'out of towners' when we ask (politely) about their cooking. I got some good info from them.
    Yes the little McCormick jars are a rip off. From here on out im doing exactly what you are doing. Im refilling the jars and vac sealing the excess for future use.

When you mix a bunch of spices try them as rub on stuff for the grill. Ribs or pork smoked with the curry/masala/tikka spices will open up your eyes. Same with grilling chicken. It's just fun to try new stuff.

18. Member
    When you mix a bunch of spices try them as rub on stuff for the grill. Ribs or pork smoked with the curry/masala/tikka spices will open up your eyes. Same with grilling chicken. It's just fun to try new stuff.
    That is a heck of an idea... I will give that a try.

Made this today with thinly sliced pork loin. Easy to do in a wok because you don't need to pre-cook the meat. A one pan meal that only took about 30 minutes total. I put it over brown jasmine rice. It did help having the spices already mixed and ready.

Used pecans I had in the freezer. Roasted them at 400 for a few minutes. Into the blender with the water. Same texture, great flavor. I have chicken legs simmering in it now. Brown jasmine rice is in the pot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast