Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Falcon strength and reliability

So this is directed at guys that are getting some hours on their Falcons. Especially the owners who have driven their boats in rough water a few times. I have 25 hrs on my 205 before New England weather made me put it away till this April and with those few hours I have to say I have had zero issues. What about the boats with more hours? Anyone with stress cracks, wiring issues, leaks, transom flex, anything? Im very impresses myself with this boat after owning a Bass Cat Cougar, Legend Alpha 211 and a Skeeter ZX. So any owners out there having any issues? Warranty claims? Anything? Hard to believe this new company hasn't had any teething issues.

2. Member
    I don't have a ton of hours on mine and I am still trying to get it propped right but the hull is SOLID. The way the hull stringers and deck are joined is going to be very durable and eliminate a lot of flex. The gel clear coat does seem a bit hard but brittle and will scratch very easily but I think all of the modern clear coats are the same. Short version is if you rub a bad dock or some metal... you have a scratch. No problems at all with the transom so far.... 6 inch hydraulic and 250 Pro XS 4 stroke. Now if I can just get it propped and some good water to run it on. (I bought a used 24 pitch Fury 3 that I thought would do well but there has to be a problem with the prop that I can't see.) I went from 68 at 5800 with a 25 Bravo XS to 61mph at 5900 rpm and moving my jackplate and trim does not do much. I suspect it has some cup damage and will get it tuned up.

3. Member
    littleluk, mine came with a 24 Fury 4 blade which has good holeshot and nice handling manners but 67mph at 5800 rpm is all I get. Weird that I cant turn more rpm with it. I hear the Fury 3 blade 23 pitch may be the ticket for the 205?? I agree on how the hull feels as far as stiffness. Been very curious as to how this hull is laid up. Build videos don't show any fiberglass matt or woven glass? I have to imagine that it has to be used or this boat wouldn't feel like it does. Yea that 24 Fury sounds ill, probably needs the pitch measured to see what's wrong.

4. Member
    Check out Brian latimers videos on building his boat. There’s 3 or 4 total. Pretty good watch from start to finish.

5. Member
    Thats where I got the impression that matt or cloth of any kind wasn't laid into the hull. I see the chop gun doing its thing but no videos of any strength enhancing weaves being laid into the boat.

6. Member
    These look like good boats and gaining popularity among the pro anglers. Can't wait to check them out at the Classic.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrose View Post
    These look like good boats and gaining popularity among the pro anglers. Can't wait to check them out at the Classic.
    stop by Knot Marine on your way through.

8. Member
    Will do!

9. Member
    Mine is 2 years old with 180 hrs. I don’t have anything bad to report. No warranty claims and everything still works.

10. Member
    2018 F215 with 250 pro xs bought last may. Around 100 hour. Just like whenever I picked it up at the dealership.

11. Member
    Does Falcon do contingency payouts for tournaments?

12. Member
    JK and kluke, that's the kind of news that guys like me and potential buyers want to hear. 180 hours JK is getting up there and the fact that the boat has zero issues is awesome. Thanks guys.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrose View Post
    Does Falcon do contingency payouts for tournaments?
    Im not sure how they reward the pros, but as of now they don’t have anything going on for regular tournament guys.

14. Member
    They don’t have any contingency programs at this time. All those end up getting padded into the cost of “marketing.” If you look at other boat brands that have come over the past decade, you’ve noticed the pricing goes up over time the more they advertise and offer contingency moneys. I’d argue that very few people come out ahead on the contingency programs if they figure how much they lose every year or two to trade and be eligible for those funds. But, it does add cost to each boat sold from the manufacturer. Those programs don’t come free!!! Falcon is doing their best to build an affordable boat that is functional, yet performs at a high level. I’d think most retail buyers & dealers would like that they are being conservative to keep the pricing down as much as possible.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1rudebee View Post
    They don’t have any contingency programs at this time. All those end up getting padded into the cost of “marketing.” If you look at other boat brands that have come over the past decade, you’ve noticed the pricing goes up over time the more they advertise and offer contingency moneys. I’d argue that very few people come out ahead on the contingency programs if they figure how much they lose every year or two to trade and be eligible for those funds. But, it does add cost to each boat sold from the manufacturer. Those programs don’t come free!!! Falcon is doing their best to build an affordable boat that is functional, yet performs at a high level. I’d think most retail buyers & dealers would like that they are being conservative to keep the pricing down as much as possible.
    Makes perfect sense, thank you!

16. Member
    1rudebee, so back to my original question. Is there any woven roving or cloth laid onto the hull during the build process? I have always been a nut on marine architecture and have looked at Latimers video a few times. To me it looks like Falcon depends on advanced chop, a massive stringer design (made out of chop), a sub floor and foaming everything solid. How is the transom designed also. Im not saying anything is good or bad as I am a 205 owner who is highly impressed with the ride and stiffness. Just really curious as to "why" boats are built a particular way. Latimer's videos I don't think are doing Falcon any favors as to the layman Falcon looks like its built like a 1975 Bayliner and Latimer is more interested in the gelcoat color than the tech aspect of the build. Can you give us answers to the technical advantages to Falcons construction?

17. Member
    Let me do some research and I’ll get back with you on this. I’m not 100% sure.

18. Member
    That would be awesome, thanks.

19. Banned
    I'm going to assume that there has to be at least 2 layers of woven/weave. Chop maybe be strong under lateral force, but it can separate easily when pulled.

Even cheap ass Bayliners use 2 layers of woven.

20. Member
    At the 1.05 mark of brian's first build video you can see a weave pattern on what looks like the underside of a box. That is from layers of woven being used in the build. I am not sure how many layers etc are used but I will try and dig through mine and see if I can find seom spots that show more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast