Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

Square Bill Material Characteristics ?

I would like to know what are your favorite square bill materials ( plastic, balsa or hardwood or ? ) ? Why and when do you use square bills that are plastic and when and where do you use wood square bills ? What size square bill (1,2,3 or 1.5 or 2.5 3.5 do you fish> why and when ? I just looking for some expert information to help me with my confusion(guessing) on square bills.. Thanks for looking and Answering..

2. Member
    I mostly use the 1.5 size. Most of the time i use plastic, either the H2o (lucky craft copy ) or the KVD strike king. I do use balsa (Black Label) in the hot summertime around wood river fishing. Almost always use 15lb line. The heavy line helps in "Worming" the bait through the cover. When fishing rocks , most of the time is with a pretty fast clip. Use mostly shad colors or chartruece/Black back in stained to muddy water. I like a 6'6" MH rod so i can pinpoint my cast--like fishing a spinnerbait. Oh ya will use a Red/Orange color in sping too.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

3. Member
    I use Lucky Craft RC and LC in 3.5, 4.5 and 5.5 most of the time. I don't use wood baits anymore.

4. Banned
    I've got a boxful of WEC E-1's that I love! Hate to throw em though cause I just know a snot rocket will bite it off on the first cast

5. Member
    RC 1.5 LC baits and KVD 1.5's in plastic as they have worked better for me than wood baits.

Allen

I use balsa most of the time. When you stop reeling a balsa crankbaits they back up so they come thru cover better for me, also they don’t rattle.Plastic floates up more horizontally. I tend to use plastic around rocks.

7. Member
    Depends on water temperature and season but I can tell you the Strike king 1.5 flat side for cold water is real good. Also the Rapala Brat is a winner. The Brat has a balsa core and is a killer finesse crank in spring and late fall.

8. Member
    I use both plastic and balsa. If I could only have one, it would be balsa (specifically a Zoom WEC E1). I just tend to get more bites on a balsa bait. Anymore I stick with 2" - 2 1/4" baits since they get bit the most and I haven't seen any decline in quality using a 2" bait versus a 2 1/2" or larger one.