Thread: Fuel pump

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fuel pump

On a 92 150 Johnson faststrike can you go to a local part store and get a fuel pump that would work without having to order one or any suggestions dealer is out here.

2. Member
    JT150GLEIS
    G O2971428

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That would be a 91 model year. First question before an answer, what is your issue? The alternative is to go to premix and a dual pump pulse pump. If the VRO OIL side is still in use then adding a regulated electric fuel pump would be possible provided it was wired correctly.

4. Member
    The bubble will not stay tight and will only run until fuel has left bubble then you have to squeeze again so that it will run on its on again which is just for a minute or so.The vro has been disconnected and have gone to premix

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    This should do the trick for you. this is from www.maxrules.com about $180.00

6. Member
    Ok thanks I was hoping they could cross reference it to a part at the local part store in short of ordering one tomorrow is Saturday lol thanks again very helpful

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    You won't get that at your local auto parts store.....

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    You won't get that at your local auto parts store.....

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

9. Member
    Yah I didn't think so I'll order one, but I hope it fixes it cause if it does it will have a for sale sign on it asap this has been a pain in my rear from what we've tried plus the dealer and it's been nothing but a money pit I know you guys like these motors but it's just been a bad experience which I know you can get with anything but it is what it is love the Ranger but that's about it thanks for yalls help......

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    get a carter red electric and plumb it inline but you need set it below 5 psi and wire it so it cuts off when the key and or kill swich operates,

11. Member
    I actually did that today just to see if it would stayed primed which it did but it still running like a ragged dog I'm not sure since it's still having to feed though the fuel pump that is still mounted to block is allowing flow or what but like I said I'm just sick of this thing the more I fish or have someone fish it's costing out the wazoo.I've had all new ignition system put on the timing set new timing roller carbs rebuilt all new uel lines from tank to engine tanks drained and cleaned plugs wires fuel filter and in sure for getting a few things.But it acts like its getting to much fuel sometime's and then sometimes like it's not getting enough I was able to get it on pad a couple of times but finally at the end of the day I just had to find a little spot just to idle my way back to the ramp because if you tried to give it throttle the dang thing would violent shake and hit against the jackplate like it was about to fall off any suggestions?
    Last edited by Rickybobby; 03-02-2019 at 08:27 PM.

12. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    If you decide to go with a dual stacked pulse pump, I've got one for sale on the "motor parts for sale" forum. It's brand new in the box for half the price of a new one.
    I had an electric fuel pump on my Fast Strike when I bought it. Had issues similar to yours until I changed to the pulse pumps. Problem with the electric pumps is too much fuel pressure at low rpms and not enough fuel pressure at high rpms.
    Last edited by headhigh; 03-03-2019 at 07:20 AM.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Disconnect your two temp sensors on both heads and run it see it that helps.

14. Member
    Man I hope your rite thanks will let you no in a few days when I get to tinker with it....

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Disconnect your two temp sensors on both heads and run it see it that helps.
    Man I hope your rite thanks, will let you no in a few days when I get to tinker with it again........

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    If you decide to go with a dual stacked pulse pump, I've got one for sale on the "motor parts for sale" forum. It's brand new in the box for half the price of a new one.
    I had an electric fuel pump on my Fast Strike when I bought it. Had issues similar to yours until I changed to the pulse pumps. Problem with the electric pumps is too much fuel pressure at low rpms and not enough fuel pressure at high rpms.
    Ok thanks,why do you have a spare pump if you put one on it to cure your issues and what did it do after you installed if anything thanks

17. Member
    Our Napa store has all the aftermarket parts for outboards. They dont stock them. They get them over night.

18. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by challengersrt8 View Post
    Our Napa store has all the aftermarket parts for outboards. They dont stock them. They get them over night.
    OE is the only way to go. Used some NAPA aftermarket parts a few years ago,,,,,,junk. Made wrong/different material and didnt fit.(set of carb bowl gaskets)

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

19. Member
    Here is what I would do, I would buy the two pump system from headhigh. He's a standup guy and he will not cheat you, that is a hell of a price for a system you will not have any trouble with. Stay away from electric pumps, you will have trouble with fuel flow.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 03-04-2019 at 05:00 AM.

20. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickybobby View Post
    Ok thanks,why do you have a spare pump if you put one on it to cure your issues and what did it do after you installed if anything thanks
    When I first removed the electric pump to install the stacked pulse pump, I didn't have the fuel bracket and vapor separator, so I had no need for the nipple that connects into the front of it. Shortly after I had it all hooked up and running, the hot summer came around and I started to get some heat soak issues. I found a used fuel bracket/vapor separator for it to help my heat soak issues, but when I prepared to install it, I realized I couldn't find the nipple I had removed from my stacked pump. After checking on line for hours, I couldn't find that nipple. So, in desperation I ordered a new pump just for the nipple. It was at that point that Murphy's law was set into motion. The day I received the new pump, I found the nipple from my original pump sitting in the top drawer of my tool box. So...here I sit with a brand new pump.
    The motor ran 100% better with the stacked pump installed. The electric pump seemed ok as long as you ran 3-4k rpm's, but if you wanted to go wide open, the engine would sputter and cut out due to a lack of fuel.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast