Thread: Fuel pump

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Sounds like it's sucking air from the lines going to the tank.....not good.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You need an ignition analyzer to set the timing, Jughead builds and sells them. The only way to keep the screw from backing out/stripping is to replace it. When you replaced the hoses and primer bulb did you use BRP hose and primer? You may also want to replace the fuel tank select switch. I did have one that drove me crazy until I took the plastic cover off the the left side belly pan and found a hair line split in the fuel hose at the barb.

3. Member
    No the first bulb was an Attwood from Walmart brand new thought may be wasnt good so i said try a different one so next up a Bass pro brand is was new as well.Should I order the bulb and install first before changing the Ranger fuel selector thanks for your help....

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Never ever run cheap imitations on your fuel line. Always use OEM components, they may cost a bit more but they are quality parts. You need the one with the yellow ends it is a 3/8" fuel line size.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    5008585 for the hose and bulb or 5008586 for just the bulb. You can also add a piece of 3/8" clear hose to the end of your fuel line to the motor and monitor the air bubbles from the tank. There have been issues with some of the fuel select switches in the past.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Never ever run cheap imitations on your fuel line. Always use OEM components, they may cost a bit more but they are quality parts. You need the one with the yellow ends it is a 3/8" fuel line size.
    To be honest wasn't skimping just didn't know any better I guess as my son told me I'm just spoiled now with the newer technology lol he does have a point!!!

7. Member
    I just went through this exact same problem on my '91 Fast Strike 150. It would not stay running unless you pumped the ball. To fix it, I replaced the old VRO pump with the stacked pumps like shown earlier in the thread, and it worked perfectly. Runs like a top now.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brcampbe View Post
    I just went through this exact same problem on my '91 Fast Strike 150. It would not stay running unless you pumped the ball. To fix it, I replaced the old VRO pump with the stacked pumps like shown earlier in the thread, and it worked perfectly. Runs like a top now.
    Except for the occasional oyster bar,

9. Member
    Except for the occasional oyster bar,
    Yes indeed. Those stop it quick.

10. Member
    Well got the call from the shop today it wasn't the timing it wound up being the optical eye that went bad which was just replaced with the whole ignition system he said it runs great.So now just have to get the air in the fuel issued fixed and I think she is good to go,hopefully I can give a final update after this weekend thanks for the help

11. Member
    So took the boat out today and it ran great and idled great also the fuel issues it was having is cured as well because the bubble stays primed now all day I'm assuming since the optical eye was causing the motor to surge up and down and cutting off it was causing the fuel pump to surge as well causing the fuel issues may be Fred can confirm but I'm not touching it cause its good!!!!Thanks for all of your guys help and don't take it personal but I hope not to ever bother yall any more with this motor fingers crossed!!!!!

12. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickybobby View Post
    So took the boat out today and it ran great and idled great also the fuel issues it was having is cured as well because the bubble stays primed now all day I'm assuming since the optical eye was causing the motor to surge up and down and cutting off it was causing the fuel pump to surge as well causing the fuel issues may be Fred can confirm but I'm not touching it cause its good!!!!Thanks for all of your guys help and don't take it personal but I hope not to ever bother yall any more with this motor fingers crossed!!!!!
    Hope you get the new Merc sooner than later.

14. Member
    Hope you get the new Merc sooner than later.
    That works for me!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234