Thread: Patoka

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Patoka

I need to get the boat out and check on the motor and tune in the new electronics I put in over the winter. All lakes in Kentucky are pretty much unusable. Anyone know if its safe to run on Patoka and water clarity? Not looking to fish

2. Member
    Everything I have heard is the water clarity is very good. It’s high, but should be open and fine to run on the main lake areas.
    Last edited by 201pro; 03-03-2019 at 01:07 PM.

3. Member
    I was there Wednesday and the water is way up and muddy, I went to three different ramps and the access walks out onto the docks are all under water so you will have to beach the boat to launch, water color was milky brown and I saw lots of floating logs.

I drove out there Monday and the water at Newton Stewart looked clear enough to fish a jerkbait. The walkway to the dock was underwater, but you should be able to beach next the the shelter house with no problems.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Member
    Well the difference in responses here are not to intriguing

The water is certainly high. The walkways to the docks are probably all under water. The water clarity will vary depending on the part of the lake you are looking at. Where I was, there is not a major creek running into the lake. So the water was pretty clear and there was no floating debris visible. If you were in or near one of the major creeks like Painter or Little Patoka, the water is probably a lot dirtier and more floaters. I'm not telling you to run wide open across the lake, but Patoka usually has less floating debris that can tear something up than most lakes in the area. If I needed to run a boat right now, I would feel more comfortable on Patoka than Monroe or Rough or Barren or the Ohio river.
    Steve Sendelweck

7. Member
    I know you are asking about patina but I was at hardy lake on Tuesday the water was a little high but seamed clear looking at it from the truck. There were several boats running on plane
    Dave
    2023 Ranger Z518/ Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    Patoka
    Dave

9. Banned
    My dad lives up there. Said it’s way up high but not overly dirty. You’ll be fine if you launch at main ramp. He actually said the water is perfect level and color for us. Now just need it to warm up a touch. I love that lake when the water gets dirty and up in the bushes.

The lake isnt muddy, it just has patina. Auto correct is awesome.
    Steve Sendelweck

11. Member
    Yes, a lot of patina.....

12. Member
    Pile on I have broad shoulders lol.
    Dave

13. Member
    I just saw a article in local paper where city of Jasper is petioning Army Corps of Engineers to rapid drop Patoka as it’s now 77% full and the city fears spring rains coming. At the rate they are dropping the lake it would take 60 days to bring to summer pool without any more rains as they are only dropping it .01 ft per day.

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    I just saw a article in local paper where city of Jasper is petioning Army Corps of Engineers to rapid drop Patoka as it’s now 77% full and the city fears spring rains coming. At the rate they are dropping the lake it would take 60 days to bring to summer pool without any more rains as they are only dropping it .01 ft per day.
    It seems they do not manage Patoka vey well. It is either way up or way up this time of year...

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    It seems they do not manage Patoka vey well. It is either way up or way up this time of year...
    Something has changed in the way the corp manages the lake, because it didn't use to be that way. Patoka used to keep very stable water level, that's why the grass did so well. I know the weather is all over the place, but prior to maybe 10 years ago you never saw the lake as high as it has been the last 5 years.
    Steve Sendelweck

16. Member
    For those that haven’t ventured to the lake I stopped by Painter Creek this afternoon, all of the docks look this way, water color is better than this time last week and is slowly falling, just in time for the next rain!

05888C74-A836-4C07-93C6-08B247F002AD.jpeg

17. Banned
    I love it in the spring when the water is this high. Makes for some good fishing. It totally screws the grass up though. We need that grass back for the long term benefit of the lake.

18. Member
    I put in at the south ramp and was able to pull my boat right up to the covered area with the fire pits and put the bunk boards on my trailer I had pre-carpeted. Then was able to rub the lake with no floaties and water clarity was great on the main lake. Painters had a little color.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwatson326 View Post
    I put in at the south ramp and was able to pull my boat right up to the covered area with the fire pits and put the bunk boards on my trailer I had pre-carpeted. Then was able to rub the lake with no floaties and water clarity was great on the main lake. Painters had a little color.
    Whats the water temp?

20. Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast