KeelShield for my 294

Hey guys,
    I got a 2016 294xl Evolution that I am wanting to put a KeelSheild on it. Website says an 8 foot KeelShield will fit a boat that is 19 foot to 21 foot long. I have been told all I needed is a 6 foot KeelShield and it would be just fine. The marina told me that is the size they put on most all their boats. Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks in advance.

Well, for what it's worth, I put an 8-foot Keelshield on my 20 foot Stratos 201. It just barely covered the area I wanted to protect. If anything, I would go longer if I did it again, certainly not shorter. On the plus side, I use mine every time I go out now and absolutely love it. I can launch my boat without even getting out of the truck. Definitely well worth the money and the lifetime warranty makes it a good idea to go ahead and get the recommended size in case you ever want to replace it.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    Ok thats what I will do. I would rather be safe and get what it says. I appreciate the reply.

4. Member
    My boat had a deep gouge on the keel that was pretty far down the hull that had me asking the same question. I cut a piece of string 6' long and taped it at the bow eyelet, and every foot or so down the keel to hold it up against the hull. That let me know if the 6' would work for me. I was actually surprised at how far back down the hull 6' was - but my boat is considerably shorter than yours.

If you buy an 8 and its too long you might possibly move it as far forward as you can next to the bow eye and it might possibly fit. It may look strange but it might work. Or you could cut some off. Its made of hard rubber so I bet a cut off wheel would zip right through it. If you buy a 6 and its too short you can't splice in some extra...just something to think about.

6. Member
    Thanks guys. I’m gonna order one within a week. I’m gonna try to measure also just to see the difference of what would and would not be covered based on both lengths

7. Member
    My 2017 294 xle came with one installed at the factory. I just measured and it is 7ft long. PM me and I'll send you some pics.