New set up on old boat

I've got a 92 Astro FDX, xr6 150 has died, found a 90 200. Had not been cranked in 3 years. Cranked up on 2nd try ran good, checked compression and was 130 on all cylinders. About what prop and motor height. I've got a 5 inch jack plate on boat now but I have a 10 inch I could put on. Thanks for the help.

2. Member
    You did not say what length the boat is but I'll assume it's an 18' FDX rated for 150 hp. The biggest problem is it has a wooden transom and stringers so I wouldn't put a 10" plate on it with the 200 as it might pull the transom out of it. If your going to run the 200 stick with the 5".

3. Member
    Yes it's an 18FDX rated for 175. I bought it new, the transom appears to be fine. The engine comes with a 21 pitch prop but I can't tell what kind.

4. Banned
    Not sure about Alabama but in Oklahoma it is illegal to over rate a boat might wanna check your regs before you put too much effort into it.

5. Member
    You don’t say what engine but I would guess a Mercury 2.5. I would try a 24 or 25 pitch and set it at 3.5” under to start,you might be able to go a little higher but watch the water pressure. You likely don’t have low water pick ups and can’t go very high. I doubt that it’s illegal to overpower your boat but I would check with your ins company and any tournament organization you fish with. Other than that,put a 150-175 cowl on it and run it like you stole it. When I started fishing tournaments in the early eighties there were lots of overpowered boats,including mine.i had a little 17’ boat rated for 115 with a 140 on it,it would outrun some of the 150’s at the time. Good times.

6. Banned
    "Overloading or Overpowering
    It is illegal to load a vessel with passengers or gear beyond the
    recommended capacity or to power a vessel beyond the recom￾mended horsepower. The recommended capacity and horse￾power are those shown on the capacity plate installed by the
    manufacturer or those recommended by the USCG."

That's from the state of Oklahoma beating book. I questioned it a few years ago to a OHP lake patrol and he stated they go by the registration number, you can't insure it, and if a accident happens you will be found at fault because you were illegally on the water. Now what your state does I have no clue use google.

7. Member
    I have a 1994 Nitro 190DC that came with a 150hp and was rated for a 175hp from Nitro. The previous owner replaced the motor with a 225hp (Believe it or not the sticker said 225 max-i'm 100% sure it had the wrong sticker on it)
    The size of the motor and the weight of it made it terrible to back the boat up. The bow always wanted to swing sideways. It made it transom heavy when I would have passengers and gear in it. It ran alright and I was able to tickle 70mph but I was always nervous about the legality of it. I have replaced it with a 150 four stroke and am much happier with it. Just my 2 cents. I will never over power a boat-lesson learned.