2007 Yamaha vz250 hpdi series 2

So I have a 250 hpdi that gave me trouble 2 weeks ago in a tournament. It done exactly like the video with the vst filter. I replaced it and the element filter. Took it to the lake hit the key and fired right up. Ran a couple of minutes and I attempted to give it a little gas and it shut down. Fired it back up and it done the same thing. Ideals great just does when I accelerate. Any ideas??? The morning it started messing up it kinda done the same thing but I kept fooling with the gas until it finally would stay running and could put into gear.

2. Member
    When I say ran a couple of minutes I mean ideal. I was attempting to give it some gas to let it warm up. Never did get to put it in gear

3. Member
    Go get the fuel system checked by a good mechanic.. You dont want to get into fuel issues what that motor.

4. Member
    That's what I was afraid of. Everything I read about these motors are how picky they are. Just turned 200hrs so hopefully nothing serious

5. Member
    it shouldn't be very serious and maybe just a bad fuel hose. a good Yamaha shop with all the correct tools will locate the issue rather quickly

You might just have a bunch of air in the system which could take a few minutes to clear. Once the motor starts try priming the bulb and see what happens. You also have 2 lift pumps that should be changed if they start leaking or are too week to move fuel. Bad primer bulb will cause you problems as well..Keep this thread updated with what you find.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    Will definitely keep updated. I dropped it off at the shop this morning but they are about 2 weeks behind!

8. Member
    UPDATE! Got my boat back yesterday with good news and a lesson on the hpdi. They changed my high pressure filter and plugs and lake tested ran great. Also learned from the mechanics that the hpdi idle in neutral on 4 cylinders and if you try giving it gas it neutral it will stall out. He advised me that the other 2 cylinders picked up when it's put into gear. Lesson learned but made me feel foolish ��

9. Member
    hey do sound funny when idling for sure. glad it was an easy fix. those are great motors but like anything else, they need a bit of maintenance every once and a while

10. Member
    Glad to hear it!

11. Member
    My 300 will take throttle in neutral without issue.....of course it's still dropping two cylinders.
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

Interesting that the hgh pressure filter would be restricted as the main yamaha filter in the boat should catch 99% of any dirt in the system. Then the motor mounted water separator/filter should elimate anything else. Then again if you had crap in the VST tank you certainly could have restricted flow in the entire fuel system. Make sure to run a good fuel sabilizer and change your main boat filter at least once a year. I change plugs every year as well.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,