New Merc V8 300HP Verado: Two Gear Ratios?

Mercury lists a 1.75 as well as a 1.85 gear ratio as being available on this motor. I’ve spoken to two dealers and neither can recommend which one would work better for my application.

I’m looking at a Triton 216 Fishunter (multi-species). It’s really not all that different than a bass boat (some of you may disagree), but it has a larger V- hull (not as large as a bay boat) and it is fast (for a boat like this)...it will approach 65 mph with the 300 Verado and it will approach 70 mph with the 350 Verado.

Any thoughts on which gear ratio would be better for this application? These boats do not typically get outfitted with motors that have different gear ratios than bass boats, so whichever one you guys would think would work best for bass boats will likely be the best option for this boat.

Thanks for any feedback.
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

1:85 would allow 21 to 23 pitch props to turn RPMS and 17 to 19 pitch to spool up and carry holeshot. depending on the loads a 21 Bravo FS be a good start. and you may can run 24 pitch but the 21-23 is my guess

1:75 maybe to tall of gearing to turn prop and not turn RPMs in power band. you'd see taller props for speed and lug motor, then you'd have to go back to 21 23 pitch to help hole shot.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Based on some similar rigs I've worked with I would suggest the 1:85 may be your better option. 21-23P range is realistic, depending on the prop line you choose.

Bravo-1 FS would be, as suggested, a good choice.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for the help!

5. Member
    I think the 1.75 is 5.44 lower
    1.85 is the 4.88.

4.88 is a smaller profile so I would think be faster and offer better performance . where as the 5.44 being more robust offer greater durability/ lonegivity.

lower units do confuse me though.
    I dont even know when the 4.88 became a 1.85 ??

maybe others will correct me
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

6. Member
    Well that could change things. Merc’s website only lists 5.44, but we all know that Merc’s website is far from perfect.

Can anyone confirm that both gearing options come in a 5.44 gear case?

7. Member
    even the brochure doesnt list all the models its confusing.. they should have motor builder app .. like an auto site.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    I think the 1.75 is 5.44 lower
    1.85 is the 4.88.

4.88 is a smaller profile so I would think be faster and offer better performance . where as the 5.44 being more robust offer greater durability/ lonegivity.

lower units do confuse me though.
    I dont even know when the 4.88 became a 1.85 ??

maybe others will correct me
    1.85 in the 4.8 gearcase was one of the original VERADO gear ratios.

Folks- this isn't a "cookie cutter model" lookup situation here. For 300hp Fourstroke there are a minimum of 115 (that's ONE HUNDRED FIFTEEN PLUS) Unique Model Numbers listed to order from. YOUR DEALER will help you determine the correct model and choices for your particular application- those lists are not provided in a consumer format.

On the 300 Verado, the 5.44 Gearcase is available in both a 1.75 and a 1.85 gearcase (found among the above mentioned models).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Howdy,

If it was a hypothetical re-power, and you currently had a 300 Verado Pro with a 1.75-1 gear ratio, which gear ratio would you need for a V8 300 Verado on the same Ranger 522D? the 1.75-1 or the 1.85-1?

Take care,

Ruddiger
    Last edited by Ruddiger; 03-01-2019 at 07:52 AM.

10. Member
    As an update, Triton just advised that they only offer the V8 300HP Verado in the 1.75:1 gear ratio for the 216 Fishunter I’m contemplating. They said the 1.75 model is the proper fitting for the performance in the multispecies models they offer, and that the 1.85:1 version is better fitted for larger off shore applications.

At least they have contemplated this and have a position/policy. My dealer would not have been able to help with a question like this if in fact both gear ratios were an option from the factory as they don’t deal with these types of rigs and certainly do not know these motors as well as Don does.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It is good that Triton was able to tell you this- and they have certainly tested extensively (take advantage of that testing).