Thread: Cornering tips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cornering tips

I run tight timber, tight enough in places where you don't want to stick your arm out of the boat.

My old boat, 21xd, 250xs tq master about 1" below pad, would corner like a race car. My routine in that boat has always been trim down, rail the corner, get back in it and start trimming up.

This new boat, 21xrs 300xs sportmaster 1.25" above the pad, is giving cornering fits. I can't quite figure it out. It is like it slides a bit and then grabs hard in the direction you are turning, very unsettling feeling.

Tips on trim level when cornering? Is this just a characteristic of running a sportmaster high and I'm going to have to get used to it?

2. Banned
    Not sure a sportmaster is what you would want for that set up. I have and XRS with a 250 wing master and it corners just fine.

3. Member
    The 300 definitely needs the sportmaster.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rclark1 View Post
    The 300 definitely needs the sportmaster.
    I don’t necessarily think the xrs/300 “needs” a sportmaster unless topend speed is your main objective. A torque master may very well be better for running tight curves especially if the boat isn’t running over 85mph.

5. Member
    Changing the lower unit is out of the question so we can go ahead and forget about that. If this is something I have to deal with on a sportmaster I'll just deal with it. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something with proper trim.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
    Changing the lower unit is out of the question so we can go ahead and forget about that. If this is something I have to deal with on a sportmaster I'll just deal with it. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something with proper trim.
    Try lowering it a little and running a pitch or 2 smaller prop. See if you are able to get more bite.

7. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    More importantly what prop are you running? A bravo should corner like it’s on rails.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

8. Member
    I run the same combo except dual console. 16” setback & a hydraulic JP where u can run the propshaft @ 3/4” below pad when cruising & manuevering curves will help tremendously. 29 bravo1XS is the prop I run.

9. Member
    Are you running a foil? Sometimes you can trim down enough for the foil to catch water and help cause enough drag to corner. What speeds are you running while doing this?

10. Member
    No foil, 26txp and 28 hydromotive both do it. Had the 26txp on the previous boat with no issues.

I haven't looked at speed but I'd guess no more than 45mph on the tighter turns.

I might not be trimming down enough since the motor is so much higher and I'm not used to it yet.

I'm also not against running the motor lower if it will help, I don't need top speed.

11. Banned
    My buddies XRS 300xs combo loves the sporty. 89.x gps. Needs it. I don’t know about his cornering ability.

12. Member
    I ran my xrs/300xs at 3/4' above the pad when loaded to fish. To me it had better acceleration and more lift at that height. It would run 88-90 loaded depending on fuel and livewells with 14" setback with a 27 hydro. I think if you drop it down a little it would help and also pull harder out of the turns because of the added lift with the motor a touch lower. Just my opinion.

13. Member
    I would have to agree with dropping the motor down a little . I have seen tight running in a winding canyon have the same issues solved by a motor lowered a little.

14. Member
    I wiill drop it down a couple clicks and report back.

15. Member
    I to fish a lake filled with timber and stump and floating logs and it is a relatively shallow lake 5" average depth and the boat trails are cut 1.5 boat widths wide with stumps and trees on the edges of the trails, I have a 21xrd with a 250 and cornering is of no issue, come in quick to the corner, cut the throttle, crank the wheel and nail it to get out of the corner. Mine has got a 250 pro xs with torque master 2 and 28 pitch bravo 1. My 20xd had a sportmaster on it and in the same lake I had no issue with cornering with it either, I use the same approach, come in hot to the corner cut the throttle crank the wheel and nail it out of the turn.

16. Member
    All trail I ran were 90 degree turns some even tighter than that.

Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
    I to fish a lake filled with timber and stump and floating logs and it is a relatively shallow lake 5" average depth
    I’d say it is. We call that a mud hole! Just kiddin ya, knew what you meant. I love fishing heavy timbered lakes too! Nothing like fishing big timber, especially near a deep drop off or out in the deep. I have no issues with my 300xs, Bravo 1 28p with a sporty. Corners great.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
    I to fish a lake filled with timber and stump and floating logs and it is a relatively shallow lake 5" average depth and the boat trails are cut 1.5 boat widths wide with stumps and trees on the edges of the trails, I have a 21xrd with a 250 and cornering is of no issue, come in quick to the corner, cut the throttle, crank the wheel and nail it to get out of the corner. Mine has got a 250 pro xs with torque master 2 and 28 pitch bravo 1. My 20xd had a sportmaster on it and in the same lake I had no issue with cornering with it either, I use the same approach, come in hot to the corner cut the throttle crank the wheel and nail it out of the turn.
    We don't have trails cut. We run old dirt roads, hay fields and in a lot of the places we are just running over top of trees. You have to pay attention to water levels. I'd actually rather run it when the lake is a little low. It is going to be a bear in 20 years when more of the trees break off.

I tried the coming in hot, getting out of it, turning then getting back in it. It feels to me like it slides just a bit then jerks hard in the directions I'm turning, and I mean hard. Almost like bow hook hard.

19. Member
    Just curious if you had an update?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    I’d say it is. We call that a mud hole! Just kiddin ya, knew what you meant. I love fishing heavy timbered lakes too! Nothing like fishing big timber, especially near a deep drop off or out in the deep. I have no issues with my 300xs, Bravo 1 28p with a sporty. Corners great.
    that's Funny that's what we call it to, The Lake is Lake Conway, in Arkansas it is a 6700 acre impoundment that was just a swamp in its creation. they built a dam and instant shallow water Lake. there are lots of pictures to be seen on google of the lake, it is stocked with floridas, we have tournaments out there monthly and if ya don't have 20+ pounds there isn't much need to come to the scale unless you have a shot at big bass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast