Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2 big bass meet their maker.

Last week a 10.5 was caught by a Ohio guy on Crooked lake and was mounted. Not replica mounted. A Kentucky guy caught an 11 at the goal posts in gator cove. Took a picture and then made fish sandwiches. Both caught on shiners..

2. Member

3. Member
    It is really frustrating to see these out of towners come and remove these trophy fish from our waters. I think with the popularity and quality of replica mounts the outdated regulation where you can keep 1 fish over 18" needs to be removed. If people want to keep 5, 12-14" fish for the table let them have it but nothing bigger ever period.

4. Member
    This state is so F'in behind the times when it comes to conservation, There is absolutely no reason to have it legal to keep any large breeding females, ever! Especially to these out of staters that don't give a crap about our fisheries.

5. Member
    What a shame. Why anyone wouldn't have a fiberglass mount made is beyond me. Eating a trophy is just crazy. I'm sure a few pound and a half males would taste better if you're into that sort of thing. The state really should have some trophy size regulations requiring all fish over a certain weight need to be released.
    2017 Z521C with Evinrude G2 250 HO
    2020 RT198 with Merc 150 Pro XS

6. Member
    Yeah there is no reason to keep large fish like that. Take measurements and have a replica made that will last longer than real mount.
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

7. Member

8. Member
    Common sense is not very Common
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknemo View Post
    This state is so F'in behind the times when it comes to conservation, There is absolutely no reason to have it legal to keep any large breeding females, ever! Especially to these out of staters that don't give a crap about our fisheries.
    I don't know why it is still permissible either. I caught a 10# striper last weekend and even though I knew it wont spawn, I couldn't keep a fish that big regardless.

10. Banned
    Crooked Lake needs those fish as stock. What a shame...

11. Banned
    What a waste, some people just don't know any better nor care ,conservation wise.

12. Member
    i would be having words at the ramp with those guys. No reason at all with quality of the replicas today to keep them.

Hearing this stuff makes me sick.

was it legal to harvest the fish?

14. Member
    They will be the first fellows bitchin how Florida bass fishing has declined. I can hear them now "it's not how it was 10 years ago, I remember when I was on vacation in 2009 I caught a bunch of 8 to 10 pound bass"
    Brad Krone

Stop replying to any out of towners!!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by enforcer410 View Post
    was it legal to harvest the fish?
    Yes, it's legal to harvest one fish over 16". However, IMO it's very bad to kill anything 20" and over.
    It's very, very obvious that they are breeding females at that size. Photo, measure, release quickly.
    Replicas are the appropriate way to do it. I'm staggered by the fellow who couldn't afford a burger.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    Stop replying to any out of towners!!
    Sadly this contributes to it.

18. Member
    Bet there’s several more that met the same fate. I saw a nice fish thrown into an ice chest were it stayed for a couple days. The guy bragged about his bucketmouth to everybody around. He found out how much it would cost to have it mounted, said that was to much money. He put the fish in the freezer were it stayed until was no good. Finally threw it away. No mount no sandwiches just waste.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Yes, it's legal to harvest one fish over 16". However, IMO it's very bad to kill anything 20" and over.
    It's very, very obvious that they are breeding females at that size. Photo, measure, release quickly.
    Replicas are the appropriate way to do it. I'm staggered by the fellow who couldn't afford a burger.

It is your opinion. More Bass were taken in the 70's and 80's for dinner than now. If it was legal to harvest than so be it. And not for nothing that mount looks nothing like a true skin mount, sorry.

Maybe they can change the laws... non resident licenses can only keep fish under 18" for harvest, and only certain quantities set by lake management.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast