Thread: Mercury Gauges

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mildrilla Fishing View Post
    I think you can add a sc1000 gauge to the Mercury wiring harness that the mercury monitor is hooked to. It should have junction box with an open port. I thought about getting a sc1000 tach and replace the Phoenix multi gauge but they are kind a proud of them. I think it will share the information over to the sc1000. Im no expert when it comes to gauges.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing, yea they are proud of them so I may change my mind lol
    2019 721 ProXP 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Customsilverado View Post
    Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing, yea they are proud of them so I may change my mind lol
    I guess it depends on what functions you want to display and have easily available at a glance. I would think the important things to see while running are, in this order
    Oil Pressure
    Water Pressure
    Water Temperature
    Volts
    RPM
    Trim
    Fuel
    Speed

Merc has a System Link Merc 4 in 1 Gauge available -- gives volts, fuel, oil pressure, and temp. Maybe is a couple hundred bucks.
    Just a plug and play into the system link connector of the MercMonitor. That knocks 4 of the items off my above list.

Or you could add the SC-1000 Tach in place of the analog multi-function...that one may be a little more expensive, will give you an analog Tach Needle and a digital window at the bottom for whatever functions you want to show that aren't showing on your merc-monitor and graph.
    Don would have to answer if you can use an SC-1000 Speedometer without a tach...guessing you can get speed on your graph anyway?

Looks like the Phoenix dash (at least one of the images I saw online) had a spot for two of the smaller gauges too that are unpopulated...so you could put any number of 55mm guages in...to cover whatever functions you want there...

Back to my suggested list of good things to have while running:
    Put the 4-in-1 in the big hole for Fuel, Volts, Temperature, Oil Pressure
    Add a 55mm System Link Trim and Water PSI
    Use your MercMonitor for RPM's, GPH and whatever else you want.
    Read your speed off the Graph.

Bet you could add the 4-in-1 and the two system links for less than $400...but that is just a guess...

Again, it gets down to what do you want to be able to see easily...while running at speed on plane. I gave you my opinion, others may have differing ones.

Don can quote you...you have lots of options...you have an 85mm and two 55mm holes to fill right, if I see what the Phoenix dash looks like?
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 03-05-2019 at 09:41 PM.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    I guess it depends on what functions you want to display and have easily available at a glance. I would think the important things to see while running are, in this order
    Oil Pressure
    Water Pressure
    Water Temperature
    Volts
    RPM
    Trim
    Fuel
    Speed

Merc has a System Link Merc 4 in 1 Gauge available -- gives volts, fuel, oil pressure, and temp. Maybe is a couple hundred bucks.
    Just a plug and play into the system link connector of the MercMonitor. That knocks 4 of the items off my above list.

Or you could add the SC-1000 Tach in place of the analog multi-function...that one may be a little more expensive, will give you an analog Tach Needle and a digital window at the bottom for whatever functions you want to show that aren't showing on your merc-monitor and graph.
    Don would have to answer if you can use an SC-1000 Speedometer without a tach...guessing you can get speed on your graph anyway?

Looks like the Phoenix dash (at least one of the images I saw online) had a spot for two of the smaller gauges too that are unpopulated...so you could put any number of 55mm guages in...to cover whatever functions you want there...

Back to my suggested list of good things to have while running:
    Put the 4-in-1 in the big hole for Fuel, Volts, Temperature, Oil Pressure
    Add a 55mm System Link Trim and Water PSI
    Use your MercMonitor for RPM's, GPH and whatever else you want.
    Read your speed off the Graph.

Bet you could add the 4-in-1 and the two system links for less than $400...but that is just a guess...

Again, it gets down to what do you want to be able to see easily...while running at speed on plane. I gave you my opinion, others may have differing ones.

Don can quote you...you have lots of options...you have an 85mm and two 55mm holes to fill right, if I see what the Phoenix dash looks like?
    I believe you are right about the dash I know there is two big gauges on each side and I believe two smaller gauges in the middle, one of those smaller gauges is going to be taken up by jackplate gauge.
    The multigauge from mercury you are talking about is it digital or analog?
    It sounds like the sc1000 tach gauge would suit my needs next to the mercmonitor but like you said not 100% sure if that will work without running the sc1000 speedo also, it almost sounds like a package deal for those two but I don't see why they wouldn't be able to be singled out.

4. Member
    You can definitely run only an SC1000 tach.
    Not sure if you can run an SC1000 Speedo without a tach—think not.

The 4-in-1 is an SC100 system link gauge, with four Needles (analog display)

All SmartCraft based gauges are “digital” in how the information they receive is transmitted to them. Some have “digital” displays, some have “analog” displays

5. Member
    You can definitely run only an SC1000 tach.
    Not sure if you can run an SC1000 Speedo without a tach—think not.

The 4-in-1 is an SC100 system link gauge, with four Needles (analog display)

All SmartCraft based gauges are “digital” in how the information they receive is transmitted to them. Some have “digital” displays, some have “analog” displays
    O okay, Thanks!

6. Member
    Hit Link #3 in Post #24, you will get a good picture of the looks of the 4-in-1 and the various smaller SC100 system link gauges.

The Picture of the setup in post 22 is actually all SmartCraft (Digital Gauges), It is 4 SC-100 System Link Gauges, connected to the MercMonitor, which Connects to the SmartCraft Network and pushes all the guage data onto the SystemLink bus.

Think of it this way (may not be 100% technically correct, but is a good way to understand the concept)

SmartCraft is a network, much like Nema2000, but different protocols and info on it specific to Mercury.

• You can add SamrtCraft devices anywhere in that network and each device can send and receive info on the network.
    • So, in the case of gauges, some are multi-function (Like the VesselView, MercMonitor, and SC-1000) and can display lots of the data broadcast on the network
    • The System Link are are single purpose and connect on the System Link bus to MercMonitor, SC-1000 and only listen on the network for their specific data type, and display it.
    • For DTS engines, the throttle is really just a device that puts info on the network about where to set the throttle position, and the ECU in the engine then controls a servo which opens and closes the throttle...all that goes over SmartCraft network from the control to the engine.

When people say analog gauges, it usually refers to the old style where the sender is connected directly to its specific gauge...

• For trim, usually it is a potentimeter in the trim sender connected to the trim gauge and the voltage across that pot changes which moves the needle.
    • For Water Pressure it is a dedicated water pressure sender voltage that goes to the gauge (or the real old school ones ran a hose to the back of the gauge and it measured pressure directly).
    • For Speed, a pitot sometimes had a hose right to the gauge
    • For tach, was connected to the magneto or alternator and the Tach counted the pulses.
    • you get the idea. All this stuff had to be calibrated separately and was sometimes "a little off"

The newer Merc engines actually take in all the sensors to the ECU and dump that on SmartCraft and also usually have "analog" outputs to run gauges too...a nice thing Merc did for people...so that on repowers, you don't have to replace your old instruments unless you want to.

I won't conjecture any more, as I am not an expert...and maybe Don will correct some of this (hopefully won't scold me for making educated guesses on how some of it works, I am just tying to help you understand, and also learning as I am trying to explain it)...but hope this helps you understand how people refer to "Digital" vs. "Analog"
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 03-06-2019 at 09:44 AM.

7. Member
    Hit Link #3 in Post #24, you will get a good picture of the looks of the 4-in-1 and the various smaller SC100 system link gauges.

The Picture of the setup in post 22 is actually all SmartCraft (Digital Gauges), It is 4 SC-100 System Link Gauges, connected to the MercMonitor, which Connects to the SmartCraft Network and pushes all the guage data onto the SystemLink bus.

Think of it this way (may not be 100% technically correct, but is a good way to understand the concept)

SmartCraft is a network, much like Nema2000, but different protocols and info on it specific to Mercury.

• You can add SamrtCraft devices anywhere in that network and each device can send and receive info on the network.
    • So, in the case of gauges, some are multi-function (Like the VesselView, MercMonitor, and SC-1000) and can display lots of the data broadcast on the network
    • The System Link are are single purpose and connect on the System Link bus to MercMonitor, SC-1000 and only listen on the network for their specific data type, and display it.
    • For DTS engines, the throttle is really just a device that puts info on the network about where to set the throttle position, and the ECU in the engine then controls a servo which opens and closes the throttle...all that goes over SmartCraft network from the control to the engine.

When people say analog gauges, it usually refers to the old style where the sender is connected directly to its specific gauge...

• For trim, usually it is a potentimeter in the trim sender connected to the trim gauge and the voltage across that pot changes which moves the needle.
    • For Water Pressure it is a dedicated water pressure sender voltage that goes to the gauge (or the real old school ones ran a hose to the back of the gauge and it measured pressure directly).
    • For Speed, a pitot sometimes had a hose right to the gauge
    • For tach, was connected to the magneto or alternator and the Tach counted the pulses.
    • you get the idea. All this stuff had to be calibrated separately and was sometimes "a little off"

The newer Merc engines actually take in all the sensors to the ECU and dump that on SmartCraft and also usually have "analog" outputs to run gauges too...a nice thing Merc did for people...so that on repowers, you don't have to replace your old instruments unless you want to.

I won't conjecture any more, as I am not an expert...and maybe Don will correct some of this (hopefully won't scold me for making educated guesses on how some of it works, I am just tying to help you understand, and also learning as I am trying to explain it)...but hope this helps you understand how people refer to "Digital" vs. "Analog"
    Thank you for explaining, seems like it would be better to go all digital at this point. That is what I am going to try and do, I am either going to go with the sc1000 tach or the digital multi gauge along with the mercmonitor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Customsilverado View Post
    Thank you for explaining, seems like it would be better to go all digital at this point. That is what I am going to try and do, I am either going to go with the sc1000 tach or the digital multi gauge along with the mercmonitor
    I would think it is a fairly inexpensive change to add the 4-in-1, should be price of the gauge and maybe an extension harness if the system link wires won't reach the MercMonitor on the other side. If you caught the boat builder in time, maybe they would credit back the cost of their multi function...
    Depending on the price of the extension harness, might be same price to buy another system link small gauge to daisy chain in the middle (instead of buying the harness), and get one more function (Trim, Water Pressure, etc), as the system link connections on the gauges are about 6" long on each gauge...so you could span 12" or so using a gauge...

9. Member
    I would think it is a fairly inexpensive change to add the 4-in-1, should be price of the gauge and maybe an extension harness if the system link wires won't reach the MercMonitor on the other side. If you caught the boat builder in time, maybe they would credit back the cost of their multi function...
    Depending on the price of the extension harness, might be same price to buy another system link small gauge to daisy chain in the middle (instead of buying the harness), and get one more function (Trim, Water Pressure, etc), as the system link connections on the gauges are about 6" long on each gauge...so you could span 12" or so using a gauge...
    I placed the order about 2 to 3 weeks ago, so from what I understand they haven't started building it yet. I will check with phoenix to see what options they offer.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    See the FAQ Section- I posted the info, part numbers and pictures several months ago.

Digital and Analog Block (Water) Pressure- Alternative Method for V6/V8 Models
    awesome thx for info!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123