Thread: '95 186 TF

Praying '95 186 TF

So after taking my new-to-me 186 out a few times, I noticed that she likes to 'squat' down in the back, not really get up on pad. She has a Suzuki DT150 super six on the back. Motor has a 'hydrofoil' fin added, so I figure that may well be the problem. Also I understand that these motors were a bit heavier than their counterpart 150's back in the day. She's only my 2nd rig, and the TR21 I had previously was well sorted. I'm thinking the fin may have been added by the orig. owner to dumb her down. You guys who have run one of these or one like have any thoughts on where I should start before I go out and buy that jackplate...?...

Update-Prop on the boat is a Solas Amita 21p. Had her out yesterday. Cavitation before I got the bow lift I was looking for. The tach is intermittent, sticky I think I got 47 mph at 3800 rpm...just not sure about the tach accuracy. So, I'll try a reprop and a jackplate, see what thatr does
    charge!.jpg
    Last edited by rexran; 03-17-2019 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Update
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

2. Member
    How many RPMs can you turn at wide open?

3. Member
    Tach intermittent...got about 47-50 mph on the gps with some throttle left...she has a bit of a nose-down attitude at speed, just doesn't feel like she's all the way up on pad. I could 'splain it better if'n I 'uz smartr.....

Lack of bow lift can be caused by a worn prop, the wrong prop or issues with the hull, the hydrofoil is for getting a better hole shot and should be out of the water at speed and should not be causing the issues your describing.

5. Member
    Don't even know how I'd determine a 'hull issue'...Will have prop checked by someone who knows. I sure don't.

6. Member
    Check the pitch of the prop 1st. Usually stamped on the side or end of the hub. I added a 6 inch jackplate to my 186 and it helped out big time with all the issues you are having

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    What kind of prop ?with out a good prop your dead in the water.

8. Member
    OK Prop it is...I'll get out & check it. Thanks, Gentlemen.

9. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Also make sure the motor is making full power with out a well tuned motor younwill never run well either

10. Member
    I have a 1997 186TF with 2004 175 Evinrude. I installed a hydrofoil and would never take it off. Coming off plane quickly, and then setting it back down after running it has so many benefits on this boat. I have a three blade prop and think that helps too. It came with a 6" Jack plate so I have no idea what it would do without it. Good Luck.

11. Member
    Just realized I never talked about before the hydrofoil was installed, it would take a long time to plane out, so Im a believer. Not sure what the brand is either, not really a big one though.

12. Member
    The Zuke starts right up, runs good far as I can tell....I,ve never run this boat without a 'plane, so I couldn't speak to that....That 'Rude is probly 80 lbs lighter than the supersix...So, thanks for the input. Seems I can always learn something new. Getting the boat was easy...sorting it maybe not so much...but educational.

13. Member
    Yeah, its a fun thing to figure out, at times. Not so sure the weight would be the problem. The more weight I've added to the back of mine, the faster she has gone once up on plane. I do know that this boat is extremely trim sensitive, so be sure to run the trim a lot when starting and stopping. Full down to start, and up slowly as she rises up to full speed, then back down as you decelerate.

I have a 95 186tf, they just don't like to lift from what I can tell. I have a 175 Rude on mine with a 4 blade renegade 24", gets pretty squirrely with a 24" Raker, lots of stern lift but the bow just won't come up much. I don't have a jackplate on mine yet, not sure i'm going to, I just don't run it hard that often anymore.
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

15. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Try a turbo lightning or txp the lightning is spot on pitch and the txp runs about 1 pitch stiff.You will get lift.

16. Member
    I had my raker worked on a little and it helped, but then i put on the jackplate and it really lifted. The jackplate helped the most in rough water though. The raker would blow out in rough water before, but after JP, it would run like a mother in the ruff stuff! Best 300 bucks u can spend!

17. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Jack plate almost always get the speed up ,charger had a good idea with the built in setback but it actually needed about 6 more inch

18. Banned
    You need to put a jackplate on it 4"-6" and find a Trophy Plus prop i would start with a 24p and tune from there personally I would recommend sending it to Mark C. before you ever run it.

19. Member
    Just have to wait for the wife to cash her paycheck........Thanks fore the advice. Might have to fish her through prespawn as-is...