Thread: Starter issue

Starter issue

I have a 150 HPDI that when you go to start it it does nothing, slight click which may or may not be related to the issue. Try key on off several times then out of the blue it’s starts perfectly. It does this periodically no rhyme or reason. But to me it seems as it heats up it doesn’t do it. Buddies says it could be relay. Before I spend 35 40 bucks on relay thought I would ask anyone who may had same issue. Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    Buddy had a 200 with no click but random starts. Took a starter rebuild to fix it. Since you have the click, the relay is probably the best starting place.

3. Member
    First Thanks for replying..second I don’t think the click is related cause I hear it when I turn the
    key some times it doesn’t start sometime most time it does. If it doesn’t I keep turning off and on and it finally hits.
    I took the cowling off this morning tried it to see if I hear/see anything started five times with no issues.

4. Member
    Glad to offer ideas. Ah... next time you get a no start, pull the cowling and manually turn the starter a bit and see if it starts. Could be a dead spot on the starter maybe. The only time it is easier to diagnose random stuff is when the fuel pump relay goes. You will have it die or cut out at random times (even on plane) and won’t start randomly. That one was fun. Don’t think that is what you are dealing with though unless you have seen some of those things happen too.

Over the years, I’ve covered a bunch of stuff, but my Ox66 runs tip top.

5. Member
    Thanks Again will do.

6. Member
    I have a 2007 Yamaha VMAX 150. Just out of the blue I started hearing a clanking noise going into neutral gear shift position. Also intermittently just turning key to "ON" position the starter would engage and turn flywheel. Performed troubleshooting with cowling off and noticed pinion gear on starter was moving up into flywheel gear when shifting into neutral.

Purchased a starter and relay but when the new starter was installed both problems were resolved so I still have a unused new relay just in case I ever need it. Hope this helps.

I had that issue and it was the starter solenoid had gone bad. Yamaha solenoid was like 400 something, or new starter with solenoid was 5 and change. Shop found me a good used starter with solenoid for 250.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

8. Member
    Could be just the starter windings have a flat spot like suggested above. Try having someone turn starter and give the starter body a couple raps with something solid and see if that remedies your problem temporarily. If it does then your starter needs refreshed or replaced.