all purpose line

I know everyone has there opinion and whatnot but looking for some ideas to see which line is the best for all purpose reels. (jigging, pitching, and casting primarily) without getting a bunch of line twist in your open face reel. I used seaguar red label last week fishing hard all week and it was a big hassle. lot of birdnesting and i burned through a whole reel of line

2. Member
    I'm strictly a braid user, i do not nor have not experienced what you're describing in over 20 years.

3. Member
    Doc what size and brand braid do you use? How often do you respool?

4. Banned
    I've been using red label for a couple years and haven't experienced the same issues you have. When you say "all purpose" are you jigging, pitching and casting from the same set up?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Durbijd View Post
    Doc what size and brand braid do you use? How often do you respool?
    I use 5lb test 1 lb diameter Hi Vis Power pro for vertical stuff and 4 and 6 pound Berkley crystal for toss and retrieve applications. I have lots of set ups so i only respool every couple years and it's usually the crystal from breaking off snags as i'm not scared to throw into some tight spots with tree roots, brush, and stick ups. I have some reels with power pro going on 12 years old.

6. Member
    Yes slone in some instances it's needed for where I fish and the weather I might pitch or cast and jig some brush piles in deeper water or go back and forth

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Durbijd View Post
    Yes slone in some instances it's needed for where I fish and the weather I might pitch or cast and jig some brush piles in deeper water or go back and forth
    Maybe the solution is to adjust the brakes on the reel.
    I think choosing a reel that is adaptable is going to be easier than finding a line that is adaptable. Being able to adjust the brakes and cast control, to the situation, is key. If you are able to adjust both centrifugal brakes as well as magnetic brakes, even better.

Braid is not ideal in all situations. In your situation, braid is probably the best, providing you can adjust your brakes. There are different kinds of braid as well. Braid that is ideal for a spinning reel may not necessarily work well on a bait caster.

8. Member
    I thought when he said open face, he was talking about using a spinning reel.

9. Member
    Yes spinning reel sorry

10. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I use Mr. Crappie, Bass Pro Crappie Max and Bonehead from 4-8 pound test. Of the 3 I use bonehead is what I would go with. Its not as cheap and you about have to order it and then pay shipping on top of the price though.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

11. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Line has to be loaded correctly on a spinning reel or it will exhibit the problems you are experiencing. The amount of line you load is also very important.

Red Label is a pretty stiff line. I use it for backer or leader material, but never as the main line. You may be better off finding a more limp and supple line as your main line, and make sure its loaded correctly in the right amount.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

12. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:42 AM.

13. Member
    I have been using PLINE floroclear 4 lb test and it performs well for me. throw a lot of 1/32 oz jigs on it . like others have said make sure the line is going on in the correct direction.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Line has to be loaded correctly on a spinning reel or it will exhibit the problems you are experiencing. The amount of line you load is also very important.

Red Label is a pretty stiff line. I use it for backer or leader material, but never as the main line. You may be better off finding a more limp and supple line as your main line, and make sure its loaded correctly in the right amount.
    Gamblinman is spot on with his advice. If by chance you don't get it on right you can trail all the line out behind your boat slowly moving along for a hundred yards or so. Make sure nothing is tied to the line while letting it trail out. This will take all the twist out and correct any mistake in putting the line on.

15. Member
    Sufix Elite is very nice handling, really thin, and strong. It's become my go to line.