Possible to add a shower in a basement?

I have a half bath in my basement and want to add a shower to it. Is it possible to add a shower down there? What needs to be done?

2. Member
    Yes, Anything is possible...you will need to jackhammer your slab out to add the drain...and then drill into the side of the slab and install tapcons half in and half out to serve as dowels so that when you pour new concrete back to fill the trench so it will not have a chance of settling. Where you tap into the plumbing under the slab would most likely be the toilet sanitary waste line. You will also need to tap into hot and cold water most likely available from above serving the main level...be careful not to rob pressure or hot/cold water from 1/2" lines...should tap into 3/4" lines... I would suggest hiring a professional to carry out this task. I own a high end remodeling business in N.E Ga. and do this frequently....Any other questions are most welcomed...hope this helps so far...

3. Member
    Thank you. Wish you were closer to hire!

Although I don't recommend it....I have seen basement showers (and tubs) installed on elevated platforms to avoid breaking concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by tooboocoo View Post
    Although I don't recommend it....I have seen basement showers (and tubs) installed on elevated platforms to avoid breaking concrete.
    You can run the drain into a Saniflo pump box.
    I've installed a few Saniflo toilets and pump boxes where I had had to pump up to the sewer line due to the sewer line exiting the house 1/2 way up the foundation. Mostly basement half baths. Only did one basement bath with an elevated shower pan going into the system.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150