Thread: Lake of Egypt

Lake of Egypt

So we switched our March trip this year from KY lake to lake of egypt, never been there but have been told it is a nice lake, will be there the weekend of March 16th. The weather so far is not looking good so I am guessing it will still be fishing winter type patterns but I don't know. Does anyone have experience on this body of water and what can you tell me about water temps this time of the year? Also is the lake safe to run on plane in the main channel? I have been told that at that time of the year we will be fishing mostly the northern part of the lake closer to the plant as the water warms there faster. Just looking for general feedback on the fishery and what to expect.

thanks all.

They have a speed limit and enforce it. Most ramps you pay to launch. No issue running on the lake. Boat docks are off limits for the entire lake- no kidding. Water temp depends on power generation. A lot of personally placed brush piles. Use your electronics to find them. Pyramid acres is a popular launch and release area for tournaments. I haven’t fished much past the Spanish house point this time of year.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

3. Member
    Thanks,
    I can't seem to find where on the navionics map spanish house point is, is that a local term? We are staying in a house on the main lake closer to the plant so we should be close to all the action, is it not worth it at all to fish the south end of the lake this time of the year? Very interesting on the dock thing don't know how they police that but we will stay away, just out of curiosity what is the speed limit? We were told law enforcement isn't on the lake until May 1st.

Here is a breakdown on lake rules
    https://www.sipower.org/p/EGLakerules.pdf
    spanish lake house is on a point about mid lake. You will know it when you see it. South end depends on air and water temp. Some coves may have ice. You will have to watch water temp and fish what you feel confident in. Should be grass you can rip baits through for reaction bite.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    Here is a breakdown on lake rules
    https://www.sipower.org/p/EGLakerules.pdf
    spanish lake house is on a point about mid lake. You will know it when you see it. South end depends on air and water temp. Some coves may have ice. You will have to watch water temp and fish what you feel confident in. Should be grass you can rip baits through for reaction bite.
    living in southeast Missouri, I have fished Egypt a few times. Neat little lake, with quirky but sensible rules. The development around the lake is quite extensive, almost similar to LOZ. This is the first time I have actually seen the rules in printed form. I see that no boat hulls over 20 feet length are allowed. Is this enforced? Surely not.

6. Member
    Thanks
    this is really helpful, turns out there is a big bass tournament there the Saturday we are going given only half the lake is fishable this time of year should make for an interesting day. Hoping we get a mild warm up by the time we go.

Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    living in southeast Missouri, I have fished Egypt a few times. Neat little lake, with quirky but sensible rules. The development around the lake is quite extensive, almost similar to LOZ. This is the first time I have actually seen the rules in printed form. I see that no boat hulls over 20 feet length are allowed. Is this enforced? Surely not.
    I haven't seen the 20' length enforced....as long as you don't get out there and be stupid...like opening up that 250 to see what your top end would be.

Quote Originally Posted by nikldac View Post
    I haven't seen the 20' length enforced....as long as you don't get out there and be stupid...like opening up that 250 to see what your top end would be.
    My BIL has a place east of Egyptian Hills. He keeps a +20' (22' IIRC) bow-rider on the lake,
    it's never been an issue. I haven't been down there in several years, can't offer any fishing advice.