battery replacement questions/advice

I purchased a used 2006 tracker PT175 with a 50hp merc 2 stroke. It has 2 walmart crappy batteries in it that are from labeled from 2012 and dont have enough juice to crank and barely run the electronics...so they will have to be replaced.

What would you replace them with? Low cost similiar marine batteries or jump up to Optima or AGM type batteries? I'm cringing at the cost of AGM batteries at this point.

Or should I just by a regular Marine Cranking battery and then a AGM deep cycle for the accessories?

I have a 12v Motorguide that will eventually get replaced within the next 6 months to a minnkota. I have also added a Hook2 7 triple on the dash and will add a 5 on the bow.

I bought the boat for $4500...and its not a beauty queen..but I don't have alot into it at this point.

Indiana University Alumnus... Go Hoosiers!!!

2. Member
    I have always gotten good service from the Walmart ever starts. I still have the interstates that came with the boat but when they need replaced I will probably go with a sams Duracell AGM for the cranking battery but will probably stick with flooded batteries from sams or Walmart.

3. Member
    May need to look back on BBC and see if you're Mecrury 50 will charge a AGM battery. I know they say the 60hp 4 strokes will not. Also do you have a charger that is AGM compatible ? Or do you want to buy another charger ?
    I have had good luck with the Walmart car and truck batteries and just got one to replace my cranking battery and run electronics. I also got the Sam's club Duracell AGM for the trolling motor and a new charger. I have not used mine yet so I hope I'm not giving bad advise. But I did a lot of reading on here at BBC to help make my choice.
    Your Mercury 50 hp 2 stroke may have a different charging system than the 4 strokes something to check.

I run a Duracell AGM group 27 for my cranking battery. With a 60 hp. I run two Carbon 9” units off of it also. Never had a problem since I switched. Upon arrival back at home. I hook it up to a trickle charger. Within 15 mins it’s back at 100%. I have as of now two flooded batteries for the trolling motor. But am going to switch them out to group 24s agm. With a charger that can handle them. I know to many tournament people that run this setup. And none have issues with a trickle charger either.

But it it would be nice to go lithium. At some point, for the weight.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.