Black Creek & Jacksonville Area

Just moved up to the Jacksonville are. My first thoughts are to fish Rodman it it’s an hour away from me. There is a ramo on black creek 5 mins from me. Anyone of you guys know if black creek is worth fishing? I know Palatka is well known and I can always just fish for days in the river until I come across something good.

Just trying to to narrow it down a little. Doctors lake, asbury lake, any good lakes to bass fish in this area?

Drs Lake can be ok , in my opinion better than black creek, as it has been very flooded lately , if you go Palatka city dock area then South , it’s all good if you catch first hour upcoming tide.

Black Creek can be real good, not as good as a few years ago because of some big storms but there are big fish in there.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

4. Member
    I will be back mid-April from deployment and more than happy to show you Black Creek. It holds fish all year long but takes many hours to learn it. The fish move in it all the time. It is very deep for the most part but be careful with floaters. I have ripped an engine off in there in 30 feet of water. Also, gets narly when the weather is good with all the boaters and tubers since there are very few no wake zones.

Hit me up with a message if you would like and will show you around when I get home. If you want to maximize Palatka is a great starting point. Give the creek some time too many people quite because it kicks their ass. If you learn to fish tides, understand how water flows through the creek it is amazing.

5. Member
    I’ve had a couple experiences with tidal lakes. Won my first tourney on a tidal river in NC. I’ll certainly hit you up. Thanks guys.

Black creek is beautiful and there can be good fishing. The ramp is awful. Every idiot with a jet ski and pontoon boat use it. Real pain in the ass on a Saturday. The Doctors lake ramp is much better.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

7. Member
    Don't go to the creek on a weekend in spring or summer, its a zoo!
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

8. Member
    I grew up on the creek so I have about 25+ years fishing it. My largest to date is about 8 pounds but there are a bunch of 1-2 lb. Schoolies. That can be fun. Some of the drop offs hold stripers. I caught one that was almost 30" long on a deep diving crank bait about 3 weeks ago. Send me a PM and I'll give you my number. I can show you around.
    Stroker w/ 300 SuperMag

9. Member
    St. John’s kicked my tail lol. Caught 1 mid fish lol. Fished from Palatka city docks to Dunn creek. Dunn looked great but I think I missed the timing on that one. All the mats had blow holes in em already lol.

Quote Originally Posted by atta View Post
    St. John’s kicked my tail lol. Caught 1 mid fish lol. Fished from Palatka city docks to Dunn creek. Dunn looked great but I think I missed the timing on that one. All the mats had blow holes in em already lol.
    If you can find eel grass on the main river you should be golden, Shell beds also but good luck getting bed info out of any one When I fish the Creeks I pitch creature baits back into the wood when it is high tide and or when the tides are shifting. Usually do well also throwing 1/2 out white spinnerbaits to lumber. I have probably broken the code and will take a tongue lashing for saying what I have.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

11. Member
    Haha I understand. Never want any “exact info” cause we all know what happens if it starts to spread.

I usually fish shllow and dont kike to go deeper than 5’ or so but I’m thinking I’m going to have to learn some deeper stuff. Found a great stretch of flippin water but the fish just didn’t corporate. If there isn’t fish in the stuff I found then there just ain’t fish in the water haha. It will be fun learning it. Litterally have everything to try. Vegetation, trees, rocks, shell/sand bars, ledges, etc. will be interested to see how long it takes to figure it out

12. Member
    If you just moved here you need to come to Rodeheaver this weekend at Palatka City Docks (PDC). If nothing else come to the weigh in starting a 3:00. Buy some tickets to win a day on the water with Peter T! If you can't learn something from him then you should give it up, LOL! Also another great guide and National tournament fisherman , Larry Cahan is giving away a half day trip on the river. It would be a great chance to meet all the locals that fish the river!
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atta View Post
    Haha I understand. Never want any “exact info” cause we all know what happens if it starts to spread.

I usually fish shllow and dont kike to go deeper than 5’ or so but I’m thinking I’m going to have to learn some deeper stuff. Found a great stretch of flippin water but the fish just didn’t corporate. If there isn’t fish in the stuff I found then there just ain’t fish in the water haha. It will be fun learning it. Litterally have everything to try. Vegetation, trees, rocks, shell/sand bars, ledges, etc. will be interested to see how long it takes to figure it out

As mentioned, when I get back I would be more than willing to show you around. I am Navy and have moved but been in Jacksonville for many years since 1994. I tought myself most of what I know and have a lot of hours out there. I am different in the fact I will be more than willing to show you around from Ortega to Lake George. I find more pleasure in showing folks than anything else. I do not do a lot of TXs but that will pick up since I am retiring and will have a more consistent schedule. I will show you all the baits I use, what I rig with, etc... 3 baits that will never fail you on the river: Trick worm, senko, horny toad.