Throttle check question

It isn't that I am not getting good performance from my boat/motor setup but not long ago I heard about a guy that was also getting pretty good performance and a buddy of his told him that if he had not had his throttle cable and hotfoot checked for max travel he might only be getting 95% or so of his true ability to reach WOT. My question for you guys is is this a one man check or does it take 2 people. I have a 2018 300 Mercury Racing motor.

2. Member
    It usually takes one man to press the hotfoot and one man to check the throttle on the engine....so a 2 man job.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    It usually takes one man to press the hotfoot and one man to check the throttle on the engine....so a 2 man job.

MUCH easier with a helper !!
    It can be done. with a long stout pole that will reach the hot foot while your on the back deck with the motor turned full strbrd. Had to move the seat in my old 2003. Had to spit my chewing gum out before starting.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    2 people make it easier.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

5. Member
    Powell when you and Woody come for the summer cabin rally you have some redneck mechanic'n to do!

I thought I remembered mine being checked for WOT electronically with super duty magical Mercury box they hook to engine....no?

Clearly I am not a mechanic.... stop laughing.
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

7. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post

. Had to spit my chewing gum out before starting.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post
    I thought I remembered mine being checked for WOT electronically with super duty magical Mercury box they hook to engine....no?

Clearly I am not a mechanic.... stop laughing.
    You can check the sensor value in G3 (Merc software) or check it visually on the Opti. The new fourstokes cannot be checked visually, it has to be done in G3.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

9. Member
    I thought for a moment there when Tim started typing about that G3 check, and that visual Opti check and all that stuff he was bout to break out and say him and Woody would use a 2X4 and a Hickory Data Stick to check mine!

10. BBC SPONSOR
    We aint got there yet
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

11. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    I thought for a moment there when Tim started typing about that G3 check, and that visual Opti check and all that stuff he was bout to break out and say him and Woody would use a 2X4 and a Hickory Data Stick to check mine!
    Woody can carve you a data stick with no problem.
    I've personally seen his work and it works great.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    Woody can carve you a data stick with no problem.
    I've personally seen his work and it works great.
    I can't disagree Lee. Last summer when he came dragging that new R motor to the cabin to test out he didn't have a water pressure gauge hookup for it from the factory as you know. He had the boat parked in my front yard and had some parts or pieces he scavenged from somewhere, and in about 10 mins max he had a working water pressure gauge. That would be my buddy Woodrow! LOL

13. Moderator
    I can't disagree Lee. Last summer when he came dragging that new R motor to the cabin to test out he didn't have a water pressure gauge hookup for it from the factory as you know. He had the boat parked in my front yard and had some parts or pieces he scavenged from somewhere, and in about 10 mins max he had a working water pressure gauge. That would be my buddy Woodrow! LOL
    He's impressive. LOL

14. Member
    He was working on that when we arrived and I sure was hoping he could pull it off as I was checking out the new R - but he did it and it worked great! "Wonder Woody"
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X