Mercury just released 2 stroke video

I saw a just released video from Mercury about the factory. I was very surprised they were advertising that the factory was busy completely rebuilding and updating 3.0 liter 2 strokes in all sizes up to 300 hp because so many boats have been designed around the higher torque output of the 2 strokes that the new 4 strokes don’t deliver. Their words not mine. See the video on YouTube under boatest.com From what I have seen the new V8 is very sensitive to prop changes which makes me think Mercury has figured out the new motors are are not very versatile at running good on various weights and hull designs. They are putting the latest upgrades and technologies on these rebuilt 2 strokes and claim the motor can be swapped out in 3 hrs or less by a dealer. My thoughts are Mercury is doing all it can to keep from losing customers. They are basically keeping the 2 strokes in production because people will be going to Yamaha and Evinrude out of necessity for outboards where they can have prop options to fine tune their boats performance. The new motor seems like a one trick pony. They perform great in a very narrow weight and prop specification. People are used to putting a Merc on anything that floats and then propping it for the application. This performance and versatility loss, and ugliness in appearance, is causing severe heartburn at Mercury it appears. Before responding please see the video.
    Last edited by zeke4351; 02-22-2019 at 08:15 PM.

2. Member
    Mercury did not release this, Boat test did. It appears to be an old video. And quicksilver reman has been around for a long time, nothing new. They are not adding new technologies to the engine, just putting the latest parts on.

Your whole point of view rests on what a marketing dept. or boat test said. "3.0 liter 2 strokes in all sizes up to 300 hp because so many boats have been designed around the higher torque output of the 2 strokes that the new 4 strokes don’t deliver."
    I would not put much faith in the video being it is marketing to sell reman motors.
    It is nice that mercury is keeping reman going for those that have the 3L 2strokes though. That do not want to fork out money for a new engine when they can just get a reman.

"Mercury doing all it can do from loosing customers" Unlikely.... the new v8 4stroke is all that they say it is.. and more. I was a 2stoke guy, but this merc v8 is bad azz. And is far from being a one trick pony.

Not sure what you mean buy narrow prop selection, is this not the case for all boats engine combos?? All boats are going to have an all around prop that works best for the boat motor combo. Just physics and what the boat owner wants in performance.

People who want a 2stroke, only have one choice today Evinrude. Yamaha has not made a bassboat 2stroke for a while now.
    Last edited by moetorola; 02-27-2019 at 06:24 PM.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    DEFINITELY Not a Mercury or Quicksilver promotional video. Boattest.com did this video- the majority of the voice-overs are from their host.

You'll note that the only from 1:12 - 1:49 do you hear "Mike" talking about the Quicksilver Full-Dressed Powerhead product.

The remainder of the video appears to be Jason Wood narrating. TONS of incorrect data and information.

Check your sources before you publish.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    For you people that got your feelings stepped on, sorry. Will the new 4 stroke 200 plane a Nitro Z19 in 2.9 seconds? Asking for a friend.

5. Member
    Might spend some time reading the 4-stroke forum and first hand reports of actual owners who replaced their Optimax engines with the new 4-stroke engines.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

What is your point? Do you believe that Mercury made a mistake by going 4 stroke?

I think the only one that got their feelings hurt was you. You posted a video "released by Mercury" then quickly found out it was fake news. It is a little embarrassing to step on your crank like that.

"Will the new 4 stroke 200 plane a Nitro Z19 in 2.9 seconds?" It probably will, if not then the boat is not propped correctly.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    I know the answer but I didn't find it anywhere on this forum. Mercury forum limited to what kind of Mercury is discussed? Next one of you will be telling me to post a serial number. Really?

8. Member
    This forum is for 115hp and smaller engines of displacements under 1.5L

The 250 ProXS is covered here - Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance

and the 4-strokes here - Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    For you people that got your feelings stepped on, sorry. Will the new 4 stroke 200 plane a Nitro Z19 in 2.9 seconds? Asking for a friend.
    Yes

You really need to take a ride in some boats with the new engine.

I like you was a 2stroke die hard, and still am in some respects.

But this new engine is hard to deny, merc hit it out of the ballpark with this new engine.

The look of the new stroke I thought was ugly, but it is slowly growing on me.

The jury is still out on reliability, but so far it is looking very good. An issue with shift modules, but that has been fixed. If the verado and there other 4strokes is any indication, I think we are looking at a winning product.
    Last edited by moetorola; 03-04-2019 at 09:44 AM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    I know the answer but I didn't find it anywhere on this forum. Mercury forum limited to what kind of Mercury is discussed? Next one of you will be telling me to post a serial number. Really?
    zeke4351... that approach isn't going to have the outcome you are looking for, I can assure you.

See the Sticky Posts at the top of the Forum, post in the correct forums with appropriate information or questions.

Sorry... I'm sure you meant well with the video...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor