Thread: Drop shot rod

Drop shot rod

I posted to another forum and thought I would post to the local guys. Looking for a drop shot rod. I know what I want for size and speed(6’-10” medium light/x fast) but unsure of what manufacturer I should look at. Not made of money but somewhere in the $150-200 range. Looked at the local BPS and not impressed by there selection. Did see a Lews that I liked the feel of.
    Any sugestions or input would be great. Anyone do custom builds or does that typically cost more that my budget allows?
    Thanks David

2. Member
    So I think your right on the mark with size and action. A custom build will probably be more than what you want. I use older diawa rods and have contemplated getting a new one. The gloomis DS rod is pretty nice as well for around $200. I will either go with one of these or may break the bank and go with an alpha angler but those are way above budget.

The St croix mojo bass drop shot rod is pretty nice.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

4. Member
    I've got the Mojo MBS70MF one as well and like it.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

I had a falcon bucoo drop shot rod that I broke during a tournament. Got a lowrider to replace it, pretty much exactly the same thing. ML action, super sensitive. If I didn't love it I would sell it to you. But I think falcon is making them in the new run of low riders
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

6. Banned
    Look under the thread title of Spinnerbait Rod about 7 titles below. See if the DUCE would work for you.

7. Member
    Kistle Helium 3 will be at the high end of your budget. A little over $200 with discount code. Worth every penny. Super sensitive bottom contact especially with a tungsten weight.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

8. Member
    Tim,is right on about the St Croix Mojo rod.
    Red Sox in 6!

9. Member
    I use last gen Diawa Tatula in those exact specs...saved some $$...under $100

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

10. Member
    Been using the St Croix Mojo Bass Dropshot rod for 7 years now. Really good rod for that price point, been exceptionally happy with it in the time that I've been using it.

The Dobyns Fury rods are pretty good as well, they're on par with cost/performance of the St Croix Mojo though, so pretty good but not crazy good. My buddy has one and let me use it for a day when I was thinking about buying one, used it side by side with my St Croix and felt they were pretty much the same.

Did just recently pick up a Team Lews Custom Pro Speed Stick Dock Sniper model (6'11" M-XF) that I like a lot, but is a little on the stiff/fast side of my personal preference specifically for a dropshot setup. It works, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a dedicated dropshot rod.

I've been hearing nothing but great things about the Daiwa Tatula and Tatula Elite rods as well, and those are in your price range.