Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Quote Originally Posted by west texas luke View Post
    Get the serial numbers off the carb then get on e-bay and find a new or rebuilt one. Probably get one for less than $30. Bought one for my 35 year old tiller last year for less than $20.
    Same here, bought a few rebuilts from big companies for about $20. Ebay >your friend- don't go cheapest- just find a good seller that has a bunch for sale.
    Last edited by Basscaster; 02-22-2019 at 08:23 PM.

2. Banned
    Got a carb on Amazon for $17 , was " Amazon Choice " with 25 positive reviews .

My late FIL let me have his old one back in 1980. The flathead B&S had poor compression because it had some broken rings and a gouged cylinder bore. Oiled the sparkplug up and needed to be wire-brushed every tank of gas. After I was done suffering with it, I gave it to a friend who put a set of rings in it, and said it ran good for him.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

I have a 15 year old Honda cultivator that was doing the same thing. Took it to my small engines guy. New carb, new plug, flush the lines. Runs like new. Cost $85.00. Not worth my time.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I'm surprised you haven't received more comments on the 25 year old fuel line, especially at pickup in the tank. Cheap and easy thing to try initially
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

Quote Originally Posted by Altro Cat View Post
    Carb or valve adjustment. Hard starting hints at valves but carb could also be the cause.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^

Mark Welch Bossier Parish,LA. "Sportsman's Paradise"
    Check out my FB page https://www.facebook.com/Altered-IRO...4017377675928/
    '90 PROCroft 180, Mercury 150 xr4
    '03 WaterMoccasin pirogue 54lb. MotorGuide

Check and clean the exhaust screen.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DURASPANK View Post
    At 25 years does it have points?
    Good question right there ^^^^

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabassco View Post

I just started the tiller on the first pull. Its not been ran since yesterday. But it's still missing, not running smooth.
    Lets do some basic trouble shooting...... try turning the choke on a tiny bit at a time to see if it gets better/worse.

10. Member
    The mount bolts and pattern on a B&S and a Honda are the same. I stuck a Honda motor off a pressure washer on my old front tine tiller. It runs great, you don't really need a throttle. A cut up stop sign or speed limit sign can be trimmed and put under it to keep it from throwing dirt up onto the motor and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Lets do some basic trouble shooting...... try turning the choke on a tiny bit at a time to see if it gets better/worse.
    Good call. Could be as simple as the main carb jet partially blocked with varnish.
    Ranting incoherently

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    This^^^. The carb will make or break those engines. Rebuild and flush all the ports. You’ll be amazed.
    I have my dad's 1960's mdl. Hadto change gas lines, gaskets and rebuild carb, plus clean out the steel gas tank. new gas is cleaner than 1960's gas

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I believe Autozone will rent compression gauges then refund the $$ when you return it.
    Got the test gauge from Autozone, and as typical for me, it never goes like ya think it will.

I take out spark plug, put on test gauge, crank it 10 times ...........and I get no reading , its still on zero.

What am I doing wrong ?

OHMAUw6.jpg

14. Member
    Got the test gauge from Autozone, and as typical for me, it never goes like ya think it will.

I take out spark plug, put on test gauge, crank it 10 times ...........and I get no reading , its still on zero.

What am I doing wrong ?

OHMAUw6.jpg
    Well you might not have compression. Do you have another small engine you can check ? Another lawn mower maybe ?

15. Banned
    Well you might not have compression. Do you have another small engine you can check ? Another lawn mower maybe ?
    Right now, that's not an option.

How could it run without compression ? It runs well enough to till.

The spark plug was heavily fouled, and its new plug , doesn't have two hours run time on it.

16. Member
    Right now, that's not an option.

How could it run without compression ? It runs well enough to till.

The spark plug was heavily fouled, and its new plug , doesn't have two hours run time on it.
    Well being its a loaner gauge I was trying to figure out a way to rule out the gauge as bad.

17. Banned
    Well being its a loaner gauge I was trying to figure out a way to rule out the gauge as bad.

Yep , Ill run over to my FIL's , I'm wondering that also.

Thanks

18. Member
    Must have compression since it runs. Is there an O ring on the plug screw in piece? Put the gauge on your shop air hose to see if it works. Only thing left is if the gauge isn't fully plugged in to the short hose or you just aren't pulling the motor through fast enough.
    Put your finger in the hole and pull it through it will tell you if you have compression.

19. Member
    That's a 200 psi. gauge I wouldn't expect but maybe 50 on a pull start flathead. The push button on the side is supposed to automatically store the pressure until you push it to release.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    I'll bring this up again.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast