what prop for a 2019 Z518 with 150 PRO XS?

which fury prop 3 or 4 blade and what pitch?

Mine came with a 23 temptest plus

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

3. Member
    Hi Brian,

What's the top speed on your boat with 23 tempest plus?
    I am getting 52 gps at 6100 RPM with mine which has a 21 pitch, no jackplate, no power pole, 200lb man, 3/4 tank of gas.

Really want to hit 55, not sure if I need to invest in a prop or jackplate..

Thanks !

4. Member
    2019 is four stroke?

5. Member
    Yes it is. Mine come with a 150hp 4 stroke proxs.

No jack plate or poles , 56-57 solo at 5900 rpms

Quote Originally Posted by hanyu621 View Post
    Hi Brian,

I am getting 52 gps at 6100 RPM with mine which has a 21 pitch, no jackplate, no power pole, 200lb man, 3/4 tank of gas.

Thanks !

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

7. Member
    you need a bigger prop if you want to hit 55 and up. I can get 58 with my 23p tempest plus. Z118C with 150 proxs

Hi Brian,

Thanks !

8. Member
    I've got a Fury 21P on a Triton 189TRX, no jackplate, 2019 Mercury 150 ProXS. It does 55 VERY easily at around 5800 RPMs, WOT pushes me up to about 58 and apparently 6300 rpms - and both of those were with an almost full tank of gas and nearly 600 pounds of humans and gear on board (and GPS speeds). Different hull, but similar engine and prop. Just my experience. Wouldn't say you NEED a bigger prop than the 21p to get well over 50.

9. Member
    I'll give you a breakdown of the testing I did on my boat...please keep in mind every boat and motor are a little bit different...

I've got a 2019 Z185 with 150 ProXS 4S (same hull as yours). Mine came with a 22P Tempest with the motor mounted in the 4th hole down putting my prop to pad at 4.0" exactly. It was over revving at 6120 RPM with a full tank and livewells (I have the Vesselview Mobile module so the RPMs are accurate). The dealer said that was actually the wrong hole according to Ranger so they remounted it to the 3rd hold down (4.75" P2P). The boat speed and RPMs stayed roughly the same but it handled worse...so no gain by dropping the motor to the "correct" hole. I bought a manual jackplate to play with another prop and the motor height. In the end I landed on the boat liking a 24P Tempest at 4.0" P2P. I hit 57-59 solo, half tank of gas, full live wells at 5920 RPM with great bow lift! When I add a co-angler I'm at 55-57 at 5750 RPM and bow lift is not good and boat doesn't want to turn as well without trimming down a bit. I should be able to eek out another 1-2mph after I have the prop blueprinted...as of right now the stock 24P is fairly out of balance and all 3 blades vary in length.

Next year I plan to test out some 4 blade props for running with a co-angler to improve bow lift and handling.

In the end you do need a steeper pitched prop to get your RPMs below redline (6000 RPMs on that motor). The only way you will ever find out what YOUR boat and motor really like is to at least add a manual jackplate and play with props and motor heights. I went with a Vance JPL4500 Manual 6" Jackplate and love it!

Hi Brian,

Thanks !
    2019 Ranger Z185 | 150 Mercury ProXS 4S

10. Member
    Thank you! Is your 150 proxs 2 or 4 stroke? It looks like the 2 stroke does better at top end.

11. Member
    Thank you man for your detailed reply!! It helps a lot! I will be extremely happy to see my boat running 55~56. I am still trying to keep it low budget. So I will probably borrow a 23 tempest from a buddy to try it out first. I will keep you guys posted on what I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter414 View Post
    I'll give you a breakdown of the testing I did on my boat...please keep in mind every boat and motor are a little bit different...

I've got a 2019 Z185 with 150 ProXS 4S (same hull as yours). Mine came with a 22P Tempest with the motor mounted in the 4th hole down putting my prop to pad at 4.0" exactly. It was over revving at 6120 RPM with a full tank and livewells (I have the Vesselview Mobile module so the RPMs are accurate). The dealer said that was actually the wrong hole according to Ranger so they remounted it to the 3rd hold down (4.75" P2P). The boat speed and RPMs stayed roughly the same but it handled worse...so no gain by dropping the motor to the "correct" hole. I bought a manual jackplate to play with another prop and the motor height. In the end I landed on the boat liking a 24P Tempest at 4.0" P2P. I hit 57-59 solo, half tank of gas, full live wells at 5920 RPM with great bow lift! When I add a co-angler I'm at 55-57 at 5750 RPM and bow lift is not good and boat doesn't want to turn as well without trimming down a bit. I should be able to eek out another 1-2mph after I have the prop blueprinted...as of right now the stock 24P is fairly out of balance and all 3 blades vary in length.

Next year I plan to test out some 4 blade props for running with a co-angler to improve bow lift and handling.

In the end you do need a steeper pitched prop to get your RPMs below redline (6000 RPMs on that motor). The only way you will ever find out what YOUR boat and motor really like is to at least add a manual jackplate and play with props and motor heights. I went with a Vance JPL4500 Manual 6" Jackplate and love it!

12. Banned
    I have z118 with 23 tempest. I get 60 mph with just me no water in wells, 58 all day long 2 guys full load. Also have jp.

13. Member
    With 2 stroke outboard?

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    I have z118 with 23 tempest. I get 60 mph with just me no water in wells, 58 all day long 2 guys full load. Also have jp.

14. Banned
    Yes sorry opti pro xs