Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Truck tires best for towning.

I'm looking for a set of all terrain tires that also drive good when towing? Any suggestions?

2. Member
    I’ve had a couple sets of Michelin AT2’s that I’ve been pleased with. Depends on how muc off road driving you do on how aggressive tire you’ll want. The Michelins do fine for me. I’ve had BFG AT2’s and they were just overkill that cost MPG.

Falken Wildepeak AT3

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I’ve had a couple sets of Michelin AT2’s that I’ve been pleased with. Depends on how muc off road driving you do on how aggressive tire you’ll want. The Michelins do fine for me. I’ve had BFG AT2’s and they were just overkill that cost MPG.
    Pretty much all the "off roading" I do is when I deer hunt, and basically it's just driving in pasture bottoms.

About any AT would do that. I have the Falkens on my Z71 & it is a very good tire, on or off road. Good in rain & quieter ( very little road noise) than the other ATs I had. Again, about any half way decent AT will do what you're doing. Very close to the Dick Cepek tires, which have more road noise.

6. Member
    Do they handle good towing?

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbagwell126 View Post
    Do they handle good towing?
    Towing what? A bass boat isn’t worth worrying about.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

You can get a hundred different answers on this, lol !! I bought a set of Bridgestone Desert Duelers in 1980 for my Silverado 4x4 and got almost 80k miles on them !! Since then, I've run nothing else. Bronco, Tahoe, Jimmy, and now a Navigator. All have gotten excellent mileage and had no problems. I used to put over 10k mi per year towing alone.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Are you talking about towing across the country or local? If going long distances I would have two sets. One on cheap wheels for offroading and a highway oriented tire for towing.

Yes I tow my boat with it, Triton 21HP, tandem trailer. Wish I was rich enough to have two sets of tires but unfortunately no. I wasn't telling you these were the best. You asked for a good tire & in my opinion they are. I wouldn't hesitate to go off road or across the country with them. You can get $200 & $300 tires ( each), doesn't make them better.
    Again, just my opinion & you know how opinions are.........

11. Member
    Had some dueler A/t on a 2013 crew cab Chevy 2wd and spun at most ramps. One steep ramp in particular I could not get up without someone standing on the bumper. Electronic locking rear diff didn’t matter what gear or how much you eased into it. Sometimes just had to wait until someone happened along. 4500 lb boat/trailer and 450 lb tongue weight trailer exactly level. I was convinced I needed 4wd for boat ramps. Traded trucks to a 2016 4wd Ram with Michelin defender ltx. Same boat same tongue weight leveled identically and I have never ever had to even consider pushing the 4wd button regardless of ramp conditions. Not a fair test but either the truck or the tire is considerably better. Little upset if all I needed was tires I loved that truck otherwise but won’t have another with a bow tie for other reasons...

12. Member
    Toyo AT ll Extremes or Yokohama is what I run, but the Goodyear DuraTrac's are also excellent tires.
    Risen From The Ashes!!

13. Member
    I have been very happy with the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I've had them on 3 different Silverados and have probably towed a boat around 100K miles with them and they've been great in all conditions. My previous truck I had the E load range tires and they were very heavy and overkill. So, my current truck has the XLs and they've been perfect.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

14. Member
    ditto.... "Michelin AT2’s":

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Towing what? A bass boat isn’t worth worrying about.
    This
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member
    As asked before, how aggressive do you want. My vote is for the Michelin LTX A/T 2

First set on my F350 got right at 60k miles. That's towing everything from my tr-196 to a gooseneck hauling a track hoe. I was pleased enough I just bought another set.

This is like asking what truck do you prefer...............

18. Member
    I got some General Grabbers AT2 about 2 years ago, and will definitely be buying another set once I need new tires!

19. Member
    Cooper AT3 is a great tire
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

20. Member
    Nitto, General, Cooper, Yokahama and some others make great tires for a good price. From my 12 years working in a ford dealer as a tech. Goodyear, Haonkook and BFG's seemed to wear crappy and have issues with tread separation more than others.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast