Lightbulb Stiff, Twisted & Unruly !

Have read several complaints about the Ultrex cable.
    I've now installed 3 for myself and some friends. Two of them have already broken the hood cover where the cables enter the steering box. IMO its because the hood is thin and brittle and the sheath is stiff.
    On one of the units the cables were so twisted inside the sheath there was no way to make it lay on the deck.

There are several replacement covers available that will flex a lot easier. Some have Velcro to make for easy installation. I chose a heavy duty braided sleeve that requires taking every thing loose to install. Was more work, but glad I did. After removing the original cover it was evident why some cables are so twisted.. The steering cables were intertwined with the wires and twisted twice in one direction and once the other. Have not gotten to use it yet but so far I believe it will be worth the effort.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Thought you were talking about my back after I fall asleep in a chair.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I hope you realize that the steer cable are suppose to be twisted. One twist where the left on the foot pedal is the right at the wrap drum and Right is left. Just checking.
    Please send a link to that weave jacket material.

Yes sir; the steering cables don't need to twist in the way I'm talking about, they just cross to change sides. I made sure to mark where they went before disassembly. I doubt it would work if you put one in the wrong slot.

Here's a link, one is for the Velcro, the other is what I used. I wanted mine to be tight so I ordered 1" diameter in the 5 ft length.. Which is the length of my old sleeve, however I lost some length because the weave is expanded a little more than 1" ID .
    I used a larger size of the dura wall to replace my outboard rigging tube about a year ago and it's holding up fine.

https://www.wirecare.com/category/br...edirected=true

https://www.wirecare.com/category/br...lack-5-ft-cuts

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Thought you were talking about my back after I fall asleep in a chair.
    We must have the same chair..

6. Member
    Does it have a flexible material inside the Mesh? I have some mesh material that is UV resistant. I ordered 1 3/8" should have ordered 1"

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Does it have a flexible material inside the Mesh? I have some mesh material that is UV resistant. I ordered 1 3/8" should have ordered 1"
    Yes Sir.. the dura wall is stiffer than the heavy braided sleeving….. I'm going to fish several days this comming week, will give a report.
    I'm rather picky, if it doesn't do any better than the original ----I'm not afraid to admit it..

8. Member
    I already broke the plastic cover on mine last fall was considering cutting the sleeve and using the TH marine cover. Also thinking it may be easier to route my cable around my graphs
    Nitro z21

Those covers break way to easy, especially when it's cold and the sleeve is stiff. I talked to one guy who broke it while unpacking.
    The way mine mounts-- when I place mtr in stowed position the head is fairly close to the deck, first time I fished in 50 degree weather it snapped a small piece off the cover.
    I (read) the TH marine cover was not available for some reason. The dura wrap I posted above may well be the same thing only cheaper without a logo.
    I'm hoping the sleeve I installed will be much more pliable and a lot easier to position around the graph.. Also by taking the twists out of the cables it should make it easier to mange.. Before it was like trying to coil a garden hose made of mild steel.