Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Evinrude g2 vs new mercury proxs 4s

I searched but didn’t see anything. Looking at a new boat and have 2 dealers within 1/2 hr that sell and service both Evinrude and Merc. Which one would you get?

2. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    I can't add much info at all other than I don't think you will go wrong with either. Main thing is you have supporting dealers for either near by. Good luck and congrats on the new rig!!!

3. Member
    Go with the four stroke, its where everything is going. In a couple years you'll be left out there by yourself.

4. Member
    10 year warranty on rudes right now And i don't think you'll be left out there by yourself

5. Member
    I can not directly compare the two engines on the same hull. What I can say is on the water both are very very strong. You can see by my signature what I own. I would note that the argument "where everything is going" has been used so many times (Trex decking, Betamax, Laser disc, Ipad replacing laptop, Baitcaster only)...

Look at the two unit and there are distinct advantages that will lead you to one or the other and only you can decide what works best. You will NOT regret either choice.

Enjoy..
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

6. Member
    Not knocking any brand. The industry has gone 4 stroke. Be it their decision or government influence. Bombardier/Evinrude whomever sunk a ton in the ETEC. If 2 strokes are forced out whats happens to them? Just food for thought!!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

7. Member
    why would the G2 be forced out when it's already a 3 star ultra low emissions motor?
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

8. Member
    I would love to have a G2!

9. Member
    Pretty much the entire industry is going towards four stroke motors. If nothing else, that's why I would buy one, but the big plus is you don't have to spend money on oil constantly.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

10. Member
    You’re going to get a lot of different opinions on this one but I don’t buy into the theory that everything is being phased out by 4 strokes. Evinrude has a proven motor with very low emissions in the Etec and they stand behind it with a solid warranty. Also, you’re not going to be seeing some major cost savings because you have to buy oil still. I would bet both my Etec snowmobile and 225HP outboard go through less oil in a season then the cost of doing an oil and filter change and I simply fill a reservoir when I’m low
    Like many have said, you should be 100% satisfied with either one... I would choose the G2 over and over
    And as a side note they’re pretty impressive on fuel consumption too if that’s a concern.

The evinrude 2 stroke is actually cleaner than the 4 strokes- 3 star compliant. Less moving parts, less to service, better economy, better warranty- cant go wrong with either but i just ordered a g2 for my new boat. I wish the others could have figured out how to make a 2 stroke epa compliant.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbully71 View Post
    you don't have to spend money on oil constantly.
    I spend about $100 on Oil year and get about 10 Weekend Tournaments (40 run hours per year). MOST of my tournaments are smaller lakes. Last time my Buddy got his 4Cycl changed it was $320 this Fall.. Sure he could do it himself but I'm still $200 a year cheaper... Now if I ran 100hours to me looks like the same cost. Pay me now or pay me later..
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

13. Marty Donlea
    Wow $320 for a oil change... Kinda steep. I do mine myself and its about $45 $55 for oil and filter..225 Yamaha Takes about an hour start to finish..

14. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Takes less than an hour for me to put oil in my G2 3 or 4 times a year, but my conclusion on this particular question is simple: anyone who is concerned about oil in his outboard [amateur bass angler] has his pennies before his dollars. I frequently use more truck gas in one week, towing my boat, than I use in oil all year. The G2 has several terrific features, and BRP is rock solid. No worries there.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

15. Member
    I would by the G2. I don't believe a four stroke outboard engine is the best application for MY freshwater bass fishing. Saltwater where the engine runs for a long time, yes. All brands of four stroke OBs have the "Making Oil" problem. Have been told it's in the Honda owner's manual. Outboards do not make oil. If they did I would by several and go into the oil business. The increase in crankcase oil volume is water and fuel dilution. Rarely do I make a run over fifteen minutes in my boat. Usually five miles or less. Many times I crank up and run 1/4 mile to the next point. The crankcase oil never has the time to get hot enough to boil the water and fuel out of it like an automobile does. Also automobiles usually run 210 degree thermostats thus giving them a 210 degree coolant temperature. Outboards run an initial coolant(lake water) temperature of mid 30s to not over 90 degrees and Yamaha outboards usually run 140 degree thermostats(SHO 125) it's going to take a lot of running to get the oil hot. Operating an auto engine in the same manner as an outboard is considered 'severe service'. I have seen many thirty year old and over 2 stroke outboards on freshwater fishing boats, will there be any 30 year old SHOs or Merc 4 stroke XSes?
    However if one wants a 4 stroke, by all means buy a 4 stroke. If everyone had the same thing the world would be a dull place.

16. Member
    I change my own 4S oil for about $80 your buddy getting shanked. 2 strokes are done and so will Evinrude if they don't get on board.

17. Member
    The entire industry going/gone to 4 Stroke. Pro XS 2 stroke prob #1 outboard on the planet for bass boats etc. and now extinct. g2 prob a great motor but Bombardier are idiots if they don't see the writing on the wall!

18. Member
    Bombardier has seen the writing on the wall. Their personal watercraft and fourwheelers are all 4 stroke and have been for a number of years. I am not sure why they are keeping the 2 stroke other than for the old-school guys like me, but I think they are doing good with it. I was told by a mechanic one time, that if a 4 stroke blows, you pretty much have to replace the entire power head. That is not always the case with 2 strokes.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickyrick View Post
    I spend about $100 on Oil year and get about 10 Weekend Tournaments (40 run hours per year). MOST of my tournaments are smaller lakes. Last time my Buddy got his 4Cycl changed it was $320 this Fall.. Sure he could do it himself but I'm still $200 a year cheaper... Now if I ran 100hours to me looks like the same cost. Pay me now or pay me later..

Tell your buddy to please call me next time. I'll be happy to change his oil for $300.

I spent less than $50 on my oil change this year and it took about 20 mins.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

20. Member
    I like the g2 because of the 10 year warranty, sight glass for lower oil and switching between hand and foot throttle.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast