SteadyCast Heading Sensor

With all these Garmin's being purchased/installed I'm wondering who all is using the SteadyCast Heading Sensor? I'm wanting to add one to my setup but I seam to recall, not so long ago, several folks having issues with calibration and/or general operation. I believe some suggested it was the result of a recent software update but I never heard of a specific root cause and/or resolution. Not sure if these issues were related to certain models but I have a pair of 93 SV's and LiveScope.
    2019 Weld-Craft 1960 Mod-V
    2019 Evinrude Etec 150/105 Jet
    Minn Kota Ultrex 24v-80#-45"
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 122SV, GT54UHD (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Plus 93SV (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 102SV, GT56UHD (Console)
    Panoptix Livescope, GLS10/LVS32

2. Member
    I've had one since they came out. No problems with calibration no matter how you mount it as long as you test the area with a handheld compass ahead of time. No irregularities with any software updates.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I've had one since they came out. No problems with calibration no matter how you mount it as long as you test the area with a handheld compass ahead of time. No irregularities with any software updates.
    Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if any brand NMEA connected heading sensor will work does it have to be the Garmin sensor?
    2019 Weld-Craft 1960 Mod-V
    2019 Evinrude Etec 150/105 Jet
    Minn Kota Ultrex 24v-80#-45"
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 122SV, GT54UHD (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Plus 93SV (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 102SV, GT56UHD (Console)
    Panoptix Livescope, GLS10/LVS32

Quote Originally Posted by tobyfrommo View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if any brand NMEA connected heading sensor will work does it have to be the Garmin sensor?
    Other heading sensors will typically work, however you won't have the ability to do menu-based calibration of these other brands of heading sensors within the MFD.
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    I have one connected to an Echomap chirp and have not been able to get it to calibrate. The unit recognizes that the heading sensor is installed but I can not access the calibration menus.

Even with out calibration it is a nice improvement at low speed when following contour lines or groom structure.

I have a exhomp plus installed also so I may try connecting the sensor to it to see if the auto calibration menu will pop up.

6. Member
    The calibration problem was a software issue. The latest software update corrected the problem. I believe it only affected the Echomaps.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by tobyfrommo View Post
    With all these Garmin's being purchased/installed I'm wondering who all is using the SteadyCast Heading Sensor? I'm wanting to add one to my setup but I seam to recall, not so long ago, several folks having issues with calibration and/or general operation. I believe some suggested it was the result of a recent software update but I never heard of a specific root cause and/or resolution. Not sure if these issues were related to certain models but I have a pair of 93 SV's and LiveScope.
    There was an issue with V2.1 but was resolved with V2.2. Make sure you verify for magnetic interference with a compass before install.

I love my steadycast,

Fish on!!
    C//
    8410XSV, 8612XSV
    GT15, GT40, PS30
    GPSMAP 536
    2022 Lund Impact XS 1775
    115 Pro XS

8. Gray
    I have one installed for my Garmin's. Easy calibration. Don't know how I did without it.
    2017 Tracker 195 TXW Tournament Edition
    Mercury 150 4 Stroke
    Fortrex 80
    Minn Kota 10' Talon x2
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live

9. Member
    Can I connect one heading sensor to both of my Echomap’s with one being a chirp model and one is a plus.

10. Member
    Both should work using NMEA2000. You'll need a NMEA starter kit.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    Can I connect one heading sensor to both of my Echomap’s with one being a chirp model and one is a plus.
    Yes you can. I have 2 plus and 1 chirp model all connected to one SteadyCast through a NMEA 2000 network.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

12. Member
    Ok I have the starter kit installed and just need one additional cable and backbone tee connector to connect the network to the second Echomap. Thanks