2011 250 pro xs lower unit

I have a 2011 250 pro xs and hit a log today and messed the lower unit up. I’m wanting to know what would be the best lower unit to go back with. My local dealer has a torquemaster gen 2 with a bobs nose cone installed that’s new. I’m not sure if this would be good on my boat or not. The boat is a 2009 Phoenix 721. My motor currently has a black lower unit on it not sure which one it is.

2. Member
    You can not use a Torquemaster2 lower unit on your motor for safety reasons. Mercury has a warning bulletin about this. Torquemaster Gen1 is what you need.

I see that now by going threw some old post. My serial number is 1B868573. So the gen1 is all that is compatible with my boat?

4. Member
    Verado style/ Servicemaster is compatible.

5. Member
    would not recommend install of case with cone on that hull/ I like the gears in VERADO style much better, and you can use much more forgiving pastic hub/ if it does not have cast in torque tad on skeg possibly is already verado style case
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

It doesn’t have anything that I can see that’s cast into skeg. Could someone run my serial number and tell me what it has?

7. Member
    Click on this >>> TM vs Verado case

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos_185 View Post
    It doesn’t have anything that I can see that’s cast into skeg. Could someone run my serial number and tell me what it has?
    Your engine, Serial# 1B868573 came with a Gen-1 Torquemaster Gearcase.

For best PERFORMANCE, the Gen-1 has some real benefits for your setup.

Verado-Style is a little less expensive, but will perform well. It also has a MASSIVELY robust gearset and clutch dog. Plus all the items Joe mentioned.

Those are the ONLY suitable choices.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

How good are the obr reman torquemasters?

10. Member
    Stick with Mercury units only.

My insurance want pay for a brand new one so I have to go with a reman. One of my local dealers had the gen 2 I was telling you about and insisted it would work. So I went to the other dealer and he told me that it had to have the gen 1. He said he has had very good luck with the obr reman torquemasters. I didn’t really know that mercury made a reman so I guess I’ll be getting a obr.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury does not make a Reman for the Gen-1. And they do not cover the other you mentioned. Be VERY careful that you are not ending up with a chinese knock-off.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor