Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone on here fish / live near Ray Roberts?

There's a pretty good chance, that I'll be purchasing a home in Pilot Point in the coming months.

Ray Roberts is right next door and I'm truly excited about being able to be on the water in minutes.

Please feel free to tell me what I need to know before launching.

Fees, License, Boat Inspections, etc...
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

2. Banned
    Kevin R and Tx Strampion will be along shortly to help you.

According to a good friend of mine RR has an excellent crappie (slabs) spawn, great sand bass fishing and the bass fishing is decent if you do you research. That is according to him. I have never been on the lake. He grew up in Celina.
    Last edited by WB; 02-21-2019 at 09:05 PM.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WB View Post
    According to a good friend of mine RR has an excellent crappie (slabs) spawn, great sand bass fishing and the bass fishing is decent if you do you research. That is according to him. I have never been on the lake. He grew up in Celina.
    Celina? Wasn’t she a singer?

5. Member
    Good lake but you'll probably have to put in a lot of work. It's a dangerous lake to navigate and until you know exactly where to run, you should idle anywhere north of Wolf island. It's best to start out launching at Jordan or any ramp south of there.

It's a difficult lake to unlock and locals wouldn't share current info with their mammas. That said, Ray Roberts does have some big bass and I believe there'll be a lot of them caught this year. As stated above, a lot of sand bass and crappie and they're easy to catch. Sand bass can usually be found schooling under the 922 bridge and crappie are in the same area.

The lake does have zebra muscles. Clean and dry the hull and motor and pull your drain plug after every trip.

PM me if and when you end up in Pilot Point. I fish the lake occasionally and might be able to help with a current report at that time.

Good luck with the purchase! It's a great area to live.

All above is true. Just make sure you change everything over to Texas within 30 days. The state likes to fine you if you don't. Get a state park pass to use the ramps. I don't know very many spots but when get here I can show you a few places.

You guys are awesome!

We got an accepted offer on the house...so we're buttoning up several things to get the move in order. We should be there in April.

You are all welcome to fish we me any time. I'll be in touch and watching this TX board from here on out.

Is there a mapping chip for Lowrance, that you would recommend to help with the boating lanes or such. I currently have a C-Map HD Southwest which has TX lakes, but not sure how detailed it is. I got Free with my Carbon graphs.

8. Member
    Navionics platium south west , Just realize you are in texas now so we dont like to here how you did it in cali.

9. Banned
    Hope you vote right, don’t need anymore lefties here. We don’t like Nancy around here, that broom she rides is worn out

Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    You guys are awesome!

We got an accepted offer on the house...so we're buttoning up several things to get the move in order. We should be there in April.

You are all welcome to fish we me any time. I'll be in touch and watching this TX board from here on out.

Is there a mapping chip for Lowrance, that you would recommend to help with the boating lanes or such. I currently have a C-Map HD Southwest which has TX lakes, but not sure how detailed it is. I got Free with my Carbon graphs.
    Welcome to TX, you are going to want to get a yearly pass at the boat ramp, I think it's $70, Other then that spend time on the water. Square bills in the spring, I'll PM you my number if you want to fish together, I live just off Lake Lewisville.

No need to worry about how I vote and how I fish....I love my country, God, and our rights. I'm all for learning and you won't hear me talk about how "Commifornians" did it. You may hear some fishing tales though.

I'll start looking for the Navionics chip...thank you for that WestexBill.

Looking forward to meeting / fishing with many of you.

12. Banned
    Welcome to Texas sir.

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Welcome AJ!!

14. Member
    There are no boat lanes north of wolf island or north bridge on west fork. There are places people run. Be careful as lots of boats get trashed up there. One of mine included. It's a horrible lake.

Quote Originally Posted by WAWI View Post
    There are no boat lanes north of wolf island or north bridge on west fork. There are places people run. Be careful as lots of boats get trashed up there. One of mine included. It's a horrible lake.
    Well looks like I'll be idling for a while now. Sorry about your boat man.

Thanks gents...it's good to be heading towards common sense, freedom, and people who are more like I am.

17. Member
    RR is my home lake so PM me when you get settled in. We can hook up and I’ll show you how to navigate the areas people say are dangerous. At some point most of us were shown where to safley run and you can follow me around to establish safe trails north of Wolf island. Unfortunately no map card will help you when it comes to safe passage on RR.

18. Member
    I'll be on Ray Roberts in April. Currently deployed, ordered my first boat in January. I'm looking forward to Texas and fishing! I've heard the north section is dangerous - is it because of the stumps? I'm looking at doing engine break-in from Isle du Bois to the dam, then heading north to the 377 bridge area to fish.

19. Member
    Yes, if you want to go up to 377 you’ll need to know what you’re doing. Or you’ll need to pack a lunch because you’ll be idling forever... Don’t run past Wolf island if you don’t know what you’re doing.

20. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    Thanks gents...it's good to be heading towards common sense, freedom, and people who are more like I am.
    We've had a good of influx of folks from CA and most have brought their CA values with them. Starting to see it in the DFW, San Antonio and Houston areas more and more. On the other hand, we've always referred to Austin as San Francisco, TX . Your area of NTX is more conservative. Shameless plug for my sister if you have dogs. She has a grooming business just east of Gainesville (K-9 Klips) ... tell her I sent you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast