Mercury 200 EFI, sporadic fuel delivery issue on bumps

Hi all,

I have a 1996 Merc 200 EFI, SerialOG361511. It's on a 1996 Charger 295TF with an 8" jack plate.

In the last 2 hours of my last tournament of the season, I had the following symptom when running. The water was mostly almost perfectly smooth, but at speed, any time the boat hit any wave, or if the boat chined, the motor seemed to lose fuel delivery. It was acting as if I was pulling off the throttle for a second with each bump. As soon as the boat settled the RPMs shot back up. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Member
    How much fuel was in the tank?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also could be electrical, such as the cannon-plug connector (disconnect, clean male pins, spread male pins EVER so slightly with an exacto knife, then reconnect and LATCH into its locking device to prevent loosening or vibration).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    How much fuel was in the tank?
    Plenty of gas, > 1/2 tank.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Also could be electrical, such as the cannon-plug connector (disconnect, clean male pins, spread male pins EVER so slightly with an exacto knife, then reconnect and LATCH into its locking device to prevent loosening or vibration).
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely check this out. Any other obvious electrical connections that you can think of that might cause that behavior?

6. Member
    Maybe a failing fuel driver in the ECU?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

7. Member
    After reading your replies and doing more research, I'm more and more convinced the ECU has issues. There are other symptoms I won't bore you with. Thanks all to replied, it was very helpful.