Stern saver question

So Im looking at installing a stern saver mount on my fiberglass boat. Has anybody installed one and then later taken it off without damaging the boat? I tried calling stern saver but I guess they dont know how to answer a phone

Thanks
    Last edited by Spencer88; 02-21-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Have no direct experience, but here's a comment from a youtube review:

A word of warning - works well but If you ever need to remove this for some reason - good luck. The bond is so strong you have to cut it off with a saw, sand off the old epoxy and refinish the gel coat. Might be better to just screw on a Starboard mounting plate(available at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops). Same problem if you attach plates with 3M 4200 or 5200. It's also possible to attach mounting plates with 3M VHB double-sided tape and then silicone the perimeter - super strong and if you need to remove use dental floss to cut through the tape between the boat and plate and remove the tape residue with WD40, acetone, etc as per 3M website(bit of work but can be done). I understand that these plates can also be attached with GE Silicone II or 3M Marine Silicone but you should put a mitred dovetail or threaded(use a tap) holes in the back for the silicone to hold too. Lots of options to avoid drilling holes in your new boat.

From their website,
    Can the Stern Saver be removed in the future?

Yes, but not that easily. It must be cut off with a thin kerf pull saw found at most hardware stores for $30 or less. Since the bond between the Stern Saver and your boat is supposed to be permanent, it is not supposed to be removed. It should be though of as a permanent extension of the boat. If you must remove the Stern Saver from your boat please refer to the removal instructions and purchase a removal shield to protect your boat’s gel coat during removal.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    Here's mine for my Onix SI transducer. If the transducer is ever removed I'm not worried about the location of the Stern Saver so it'll stay.

5. Banned
    Thats a good queation...........

6. Member
    A "Stern Saver" can't be removed without damaging your gelcoat. My question would be, why would you ever need to remove the stern saver? As long as you mounted it in the correct location it will never interfere with the performance of your hull.

7. Member
    I’ve been using them for years. Awesome product but can’t imagine any reason you’d need to remove it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Here's mine for my Onix SI transducer. If the transducer is ever removed I'm not worried about the location of the Stern Saver so it'll stay.

I am about to mount my Helix 9 mega just like yours with the mini. Your installation looks great and I am hoping mine does as well. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you have next to it holding your wiring? Thanks

9. Member
    It’s meant to be a permanent adhesion. You can get a thin saw and do it that way but you’ll damage the gel coat
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp