Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crankbait Storage

This weekend is our fishing show in Madison. I want to find a solution to crankbait storage. Currently put them in a Plano box and all the hooks get stuck together and they get scratched up. Now of course they are all different lengths. Whats the best storage unit i should look for at the show? Thanks

I got to where I use the Bass Mafia Bait Coffin 3700 Deep. emptied out probably 5 3700 plano boxes into just 1 of the Bass Mafia boxes.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bass...age-BMBCD.html

Gruv hard bait box. Silicone dividers hold each crankbait upright so they do not tangle or touch each other .

https://gruvfishing.com/products/hard-bait/

lol I've spent years looking for the solution. There's a few out there, none of which are perfect. Hard bait storage works on a sliding scale of organized <> capacity. The more organized you go the less capacity you get.

Falcon's FTO (and now Plano's inferior version) is a good example of this. You get very clean storage, great organization, very little if any hook tangles, and quick and easy to see/find your baits. Drawback is that you typically give up the number of baits you can get in a box, so you wind up with more boxes overall. But, the system works, I ran the Falcon FTO setup for years.

Shimano's discontinued boxes work on a similar principle, using individual slots for each bait, keep the well organized and tangle free, but less baits per box. The are discontinued, and bring a premium, upwards of $50-75 per box sometimes.

Gruv has a new system out, uses silicone towers to support and segregate the baits, look good on paper, but again you give up capacity. Also factor in they are using non-standard size boxes (which is what eventually killed off Falcon FTO) I've said it before, these companies have to stick with the industry standard sizes, ie 3600/3700 to succeed long term.

Then there's the relatively new sticky boxes... I forget the name. They at least have the sense to use standard box sizing, but reviews have been hit or miss. I' not sure how beneficial they would be for bulk hard bait storage, but I haven't tried them either.

Also Bass Mafia - they have several crankbait coffins - one for smaller/midsize up to say 3xd, maybe 5xd size, and a deep coffin that holds the DD22/6-8xd size baits. They store vertically in individual slots, sorta like the old Muskie Plug boxes. Works well, but most consider them overpriced. But you also have to look at you are not buying 3 or 4 standard trays when buying a BM coffin, so the price is actually pretty much the same taking that into account.

Since Falcon FTO went away... well actually Plano bought them out. I initially was happy for this as it would mean standard size FTO boxes. Which it did, but Plano ruined what was so great about FTO - the individual trays. To cut costs they instead molded two trays per box typically. While this does work, it takes away one of the prime benefits of the FTO system - the ability to adjust those individual trays for odd size baits. With the changes Plano made this is no longer possible. They still work or course, but are not as usable as the Falcon version was.

Anyway I started to say, since Falcon's FTO went away, I've tried a few things but have wound up with Bass Mafia Deep 3700's like the poster above, and also a few Cranking Coffins and Deep Cranking Coffins as well. I like the Bass Mafia Deep 3700's as they are 4" tall so hold a bit more than the Plano 3700 deep.

Lastly, there's also Hook Bonnets (Owner's are the best) or the rubber band/hair band trick.

But then again, it seems 99% of the pro's just use this type of setup :).

5. Member
    I use and still wish they made them, the old Bass Pro 3700's that were double sided. hold a ton of baits and seem to be durable.

6. Member
    http://www.specialmatetackleboxes.com/products.html

Check this box out Have no complains with mine! Don't tangle or get scratched up..

7. Member
    I use the Bass Mafia cranking coffin (I have 2 of the standard ones, none of the deep). They work great for shallow and mid-diving crankbaits, lipless cranks, hollow-bodied frogs, poppers, and smaller topwaters like the whopper plopper 90 or small walking-style baits. I do consider them overpriced, but they do store a lot of baits in one box and I do know they are well protected from water intrusion and if I drop the box I don't have to worry about it breaking or the baits getting all tangled up.

8. Member
    I switched all my crankbaits over to a bass mafia bait coffin 3700 deep this winter. I'm much happier with this than the plano I was using. I hated having to untangle all the hooks every time I want to grab a crankbait.

9. Member
    I just use the deep 3700 and toss them all in there kind of like the pic above. You would be suprised how easy they come apart.

10. Banned
    What do you all do when those pesky bass scratch up those crankbaits with their teeth?? Lol. Are you all fisherman or just bait collectors??

11. Member
    This is what I use. Best solution I have found. Unfortunately they are no longer made, have not been for years. Double sided with groves/channels to keep baits mostly separated.

20190221_132858_resized.jpg20190221_132907_resized.jpg20190221_132920_resized.jpg20190221_132942_resized.jpg

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    This is what I use. Best solution I have found. Unfortunately they are no longer made, have not been for years. Double sided with groves/channels to keep baits mostly separated.

20190221_132858_resized.jpg20190221_132907_resized.jpg20190221_132920_resized.jpg20190221_132942_resized.jpg
    ^^^ These are the boxes I was talking about that I use!! I wish they still made them!!

13. Member
    There are some similar online but not the right size. Closer to 3600 size.

+1. Really like these as well..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

15. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Hook bonnets, dirt cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-Durab...frcectupt=true

I ordered a bunch in various sizes and have lots left over. I put a few extra in each WP Plano box just in case I misplace a few during the day. I have a few bags of spares in my fishing cabinet.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

16. Member
    I have both Gruv and Bass Mafia both are well designed. The gruv is better for skinnerbaits such as rattle traps and jerkbait while the bass mafia is better for squarebills. I love the bass mafia deep diver box but you have to put a piece of foam on the top of the box or some of you crankbait may move. Easy fix.

17. Member
    I use the Plano crankbait boxes. Nothing fancy, standard sizes, reasonable price and availability. I prefer that they aren’t overly big so I can break down my different cranks into separate boxes. Just me, many good options listed, no one size fits all.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRETT View Post
    ^^^ These are the boxes I was talking about that I use!! I wish they still made them!!
    I got one of the double-sided boxes when they were first out and was going to buy more but the piece the latch fastens on broke off on one side, so there is only one latch holding that side shut and I don't trust it very far, and didn't buy anymore of them when they were still available.

Here's example of the 3600-ish size of the double... https://www.amazon.com/SLMOZKA-Doubl.../dp/B075GMCWVR

Might be worth contacting them to see if they have other sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    Hook bonnets, dirt cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-Durab...frcectupt=true

I ordered a bunch in various sizes and have lots left over. I put a few extra in each WP Plano box just in case I misplace a few during the day. I have a few bags of spares in my fishing cabinet.
    I have some of the Owner version - I prefer them as they have the little grab section that makes it much easier to remote and replace, but they are more expensive than the generic ones for sure...

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owne...cpage-OHC.html

20. Member
    Plano FTO 3700 Size Crank Bait Organizer
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast