Need advice before I buy

After buying a ficht and having it do what ficht does (blow up)I’m a little gun shy on motors. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2004 Nitro NX 898 with a 225 Optimax on it. The current owner is my boss so that helps. All service records are available (haven’t seen them yet still doing research on motor). We work in service industry so we are maintenance guys so I know it’s been done. I would be surprised if there was 300 hours on the motor and wouldn’t be surprised if there was less than 100. Boat has not been used very much. What do you guys think? I know the Optimax had trouble before this year but again I’m gun shy. Thank you in advance.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

gentleness and self-control.

2. Member
    I think most of the problems have been taken care of. Most of the problems were user related anyway, improper warm up and shut down etc.

3. Member
    Take a look at the FAQ at top of forum, lots of great info there including proper checkout for used engines. Low hours does not necessarily mean a good deal, well cared for and properly maintained low hours, you bet. My 10yr old Optimax has 162hrs on it but I follow all the service, maintenance, and Don's recommendations to a "T".

Checkout Recommendations for a Used Engine

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    I will check it out thank you
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

5. Member
    I will also post the printout on the motor soon if you guys don’t mind looking at it

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be glad to.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    The picture didn’t download. I will resize and post it soon

8. Member

9. Member
    I got the boat and opened the cowling on the motor. On the heads was marked compression readings I’m assuming from the mechanic the numbers are as follows. Port side 100, 95, 95 starboard side 95, 100, 90. Sounds low to me what do you guys think

10. Member
    By got the boat I mean my boss let me take it for the weekend

11. Member
    The motor is a 2005 serial # 1b149175

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Serial# 1B149175
    Model# 1225D73DD
    MERCURY 225DFI L DIG
    DOB: 1/25/05

DON'T trust "paint numbers" for compression. I have one here that shows 114 and has ZERO.

Always get CURRENT results- Specs were 90-110, Max variance of 15 psi between highest and lowest.

Sent PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Thank you all for your help. I feel equipped to make a better decision this time around. Looks like the ball is in my court now. Again thank you all