519vx 05’ model gas gauge problem

Looking at buying a 519vx 2005 model gas gauge doesn’t work . Is that a common problem? Should I replace gauge before float?

2. Member
    If it's not working on both tanks then it's the gauge. The port tank float on my '02 518VX was bent and rubbing on the tank wall preventing a correct reading but the starboard read fine. Make sure the gauge getting power. If it is most likely it's shot.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjulian825 View Post
    Looking at buying a 519vx 2005 model gas gauge doesn’t work . Is that a common problem? Should I replace gauge before float?
    This may be a stupid question, but did you try both tanks with the switch on the dash? Just making sure that you know it wont read anything unless you flip the switch to either tank. I leave mine off most of the time unless I need to check it for some reason. Not trying to be an ass...
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

4. Member
    Appreciate the help guys. I have actually not saw it. Im going tomorrow to look at/buy if everything checks out. I will let yall know how it goes

Most common problem is the pickup in the gas tank. An easy replacement.
    The gauge itself is almost never bad.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

6. Member
    make sure you check your grounds are common between the sending unit and the gauge itself.

7. Member
    If both tanks dont work it could be the gauge but if one tank works and the other dont work then its probly the sending unit on the tank that dont work. you can get a new one at west marine around 35 dollars. take your bad one out and take it to west marine and they will set you up. just make sure your tank is not full when you take the old one out.

8. Member
    So netheir tank is working. But the lights on the gauge comes on but not on the switch itself. Do you all still think it’s a gauge ?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjulian825 View Post
    So netheir tank is working. But the lights on the gauge comes on but not on the switch itself. Do you all still think it’s a gauge ?
    you could switch out one of the senders on the gas tank and see if it works. If it works after you put the new one in then you know its the senders. if you replace the sender and the gauge dont work then you know its the gauge. but the gauge usually dont crap out on you but things do happen occasionally. I would just get one sending unit and replace it and see what happens. I dont recall if there is a fuse specifically for the gas gauge.

10. Member
    My ‘06 519VX seems to have its fuel tank wires crossed and is reading the opposing tank. Port reads starboard and vice versa. Should be able to just reverse the wiring one would think. Any thoughts?

11. Member
    On my '06, the gas gauge needle is sticking now - the last year or so. I 'think" it is due to the fact that the small gauges from that era allow water in. After a rain I can actually see water in the gauge. It has always come back to life by beating on it a little with my knuckle or just running the boat in a little rougher water. Once working, it will be fine until it sits off for a while. If you replace yours, I would be interested to know if there are still identical replacements available.

12. Member
    I will keep y’all updated checking it out on monday

13. Member
    let us know please

14. Member
    I have a 2003 519VX. The stop button on the dash panel would not shut off the engine, so I installed an actual ignition switch. The switch is a Ranger part and plugged right into the harness. That all works fine, however, now I cannot get a reading on the fuel gauge. The port tank is lit on the dash panel and I cannot switch between tanks. Is this an issue because of the keyed ignition switch installation or is there something else I should be looking for? I will be replacing the dash control panel eventually (I understand they have a high failure rate) but not this year unless soemthing else fails.