Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke - Broken Cavitation Plate

2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke
    Model: M250L PRO XS 250 TM 4S
    Serial Number: 2B574658

Please see picture below. While idling recently in a stumpy environment at Lake Seminole, the engine hit a submerged tree. My questions has anyone else seen or had an issue of such?? I have spent countless hours idling in these environments and have hit underwater objects much harder with my 2 stroke ProXS. I had no idea this happened until I loaded on the trailer. No alarms, no issues in performance, and no water pressure issues. I thought this would be an easy interchangeable repair but the mechanic is telling me over 16 hours in labor and close to $1,500 in parts. Does this seem feasible to any of you guys??

Has anyone had any trouble with the durability of this plate??
    Attached Images Attached Images

16 hours seems a bit high. Swapping a mid section shouldn't take more than a day.... Sorry you are in this situation though

Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    16 hours seems a bit high. Swapping a mid section shouldn't take more than a day.... Sorry you are in this situation though
    If it's like a two stroke in order to change the mid section you have to take the lower off and the power head has to come off completely. Its a big job and i would file it on insurance.

4. Member
    Ouch :(
    Last edited by FastCat04; 02-21-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

5. Banned
    File an insurance claim. 16 hours does seem high, but your dealer and the insurance company can hash that out.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely see this on 2 and 4 cycle models, alike. Sometimes from stumps... and sometimes from engine supports left to swing downward (that are forgotten and pinched into that portion of the midsection). Either way, it is caused by an outside force.

Hard to say on the labor time- since there's really nothing mechanical listed in the midsection (such as the Driveshaft Housing). At the adapter plate (and cleaning out the sump) you're over 10 hours, so while it sounds a bit high, I'm not sure that it's it's an unrealistic time.

Sounds like your dealer is on top of it for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Don:

No alarms, no drop in water pressure, and have ran over 60 miles since this has happened. Do you think its ok to keep running the engine until the parts come in. Parts are on back order until mid March.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unfortunately, I will HEAVILY discourage you from operating that engine as the clamp load between the gearcase and midsection has been compromised, causing a potential SAFETY risk.

I would NOT operate the engine again until it has been properly repaired.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    In addition to Don's wise safety advice, your insurer may exclude coverage for any further damage caused by continued operation.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    you struck very high on motor
    hull should have hit before you struck plate if motor was tilted for shallow water idling .
    tilted up only skeg/prop should be below hull,

not that this helps anything now but just an observation,
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

11. Member
    send u pm

Hate that happen to you. Looks like boat slid over stump and dropped down onto mid section cav plate
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

13. Member
    This is only the way it could have happened. Hydraulic jackplate and trim has this plate above the hull of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2500 View Post
    Hate that happen to you. Looks like boat slid over stump and dropped down onto mid section cav plate

14. mikesxpress
    That's pretty severe for just stump bumping? I would be more inclined to buy off on a engine support misplacement issue if I was the insurance company.