Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wirerat99 View Post
    There is a guy here that wins a lot of big tournaments on the James River. He swears by the 1/8oz slider head for fishing finesse worms. I think he still used mono as well.
    Now you're opening up the mono vs floro debate as well. Is floro really invisible under water?

So now a Ned rig is really a Slider?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    So now a Ned rig is really a Slider?
    Slider is reeled in slowly and a ned rig is fished on the bottom. I can cover the whole water column with just the slider.

4. Member
    Charlie Brewer's do nothing slider has been a staple for catching pressured fish for many years and still catches them. I like the 1/8 ounce spider jig head. Don't need to give it any action, just reel it in slowly. If you need to fill out a limit nothing works better.

I still have one of those original yellow slider rods with Tennessee handle. I wonder if there is any value in it. I still use it with slider heads and 4 inch worms when bank fishing or wading with grand kids.

6. Member
    I always have a couple of these on the deck. I use the 1/16 original slider head with a 7' 1 power rod and put a shad shape on it. From time to time I will try other small worms, including the slider worms but always come back to the shad shape. Then I have a 7' 2 power rod rigged with a 1/8 to 1/4 spider head and a 4" cut tail worm. Sometimes I will have a weedless slider head on another rod and use a variety of baits on it.

No need for the short rods as long as you use a light power.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Always on my deck when I smallmouth fished at Dale Hollow!

8. Member
    Slider heads. No I don’t. Slider worms. ABSOLUTELY

9. Banned
    Great baits. Still use them and they catch fish.

10. Member
    I have a worm wallet full of them in their original packages and just about every color. I caught tons of fish on them!

Haven't used them in years, may be time to break them out again this year ...

11. Member
    Slider heads/worms in 4" are an absolute must when stream fishing for smallies in the creeks around here! Also are excellent on bedding smallmouth on the Canadian shield lakes, but don't tell anyone!!

12. Member
    Does anyone has any old original Charlie Brewer 4 inch avocado worms? They do not catch fish so I will gladly take them off your hands. Would be glad to pay what ever you think fair.

Quote Originally Posted by mrc View Post
    Lot of people fish them and just don't know it. They call it NED rig now.
    The NED rig is fished on the bottom like the drop shot or shakey head. The Slider head fishing is more like spybait fishing, reeled very slowly targeting suspended fish. California guys back in the day used the Cato Little Bit worm for catching suspended fish when the bite was tough.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    I think they’ve faded, because the fact is in most of the country it’s just takes bigger stringers to win nowadays than it used to.

I mean if I know I need to 20lbs to have a chance to win, then I’m not sure that bait is even on my radar. Not that you can’t catch a big one on it, but be tough to catch 5 big ones in a day on it.

Now if you’re just fishing, yeah it will catch em as well as it used to
    Lots of zeroes and small 1-2 fish bags at Toledo yesterday. Lot of those guys would’ve loved a 12 pound bag instead of nothing, especially with today cancelled.

Bad spellers of the world untie!

Threw the "Slider Elite" heads (1/4 oz) with a Trick worm a couple of years ago - works pretty well at times.

Being from Lawrenceburg, TN I learned quick about Sliders. Still use them today. Love them.

18. Member
    Krindgen,
    That you were the one to bring it up. PM me your address and I'll send you the jig head many around here throw. Beats the other slider heads out there.

19. Yankee Troller
    Back when I was bass fishing I used the 1/8 and 1/4 slider heads with a 4" power bait worm. Black/Blue tail, Pumpkin/Yellow Tail, and Black/Blue Fleck. Sometimes a cure tail and other times a straight tail 4" power bait worm. On the weed edges in the Finger Lakes they were deadly, and still are!
    Captain Richard Hajecki

Humminbird: (2) SOLIX 12 G3, (3) SOLIX 10 G3, CHIRP Radar, MEGA Live, Lakemaster VX, (2) Eth 5PGL, GPS HS

20. Scraps
    Wow, not discussed but popular technique. I've slowly been cleaning out a local tackle shop of some old stuff. Around here back when I started in the 80s the Bombers, Sliders and really serious guys fished Bagley's and beat everyone. Now 40 yrs late fishing pressure around here has skyrocketed so thinking of ways of getting an edge. And it's fun to look back on those days and realize what stuck in my head.

One of my favorites was the marmalade (brown) with sparkles and an orange tail. My nowadays favorite is the 5in black with chart tail. Also used the boot tailed grubs quite a bit with success on the Delaware River here.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast