Thread: Lake levels...

Banned

Lake levels...

I know all these lake are formed by different rivers and watersheds but how can they be so all over the place when it come to rising or falling water levels???... According to my TVA app Tellico and Ft. Loudon are holding or dropping water levels, Cherokee is holding steady, Douglas is rising slightly but Norris is predicted to rise 6 feet in the next 2 day (and it was 1003 when we left on the 11th of this month, a 14 foot jump so far). Just scratching my head wondering... Dan

2. Member
    TVA targets certain lake levels due to dam construction and/or seasonal weather patterns. The winter is our "wettest" season of the year in this region. So they try and keep some of the lakes low to account for the higher than normal rainfall amounts. The lakes are all impoundments of different watersheds that all ultimately run into the same TN river. That in-turn creates a need for fluctuating lake levels across the TN river system.
    2014 BassCat PII
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    http://offthechartsboating.com

3. Member
    The TVA numbers are the least accurate. Check water.weather.gov

In anticipation of all the rain, TVA stated that they are using Norris, Cherokee and Douglas as retention for a few days until all the rains get done. I drove over the French Broad (Douglas tail waters ) and the Holston (Cherokee tail waters) today and it's not flowing near as hard as its has been. All these reservoirs in mid to upper East TN eventually flow into one, (Watts Bar) then on to Chickamauga. I was in Dayton and Chattanooga yesterday and they have all the gates open. It was wild seeing that much water flowing through it. Basically they are trying not by to flood out towns much further down the TN river system.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

5. Member
    The TVA system works this way: There isn't one.

6. Banned
    Saw a post from a "boat dock handler" and he saying that Norris will crest at 1030... 10 feet above pool... Dan

7. Member
    5” of rain just yesterday on Tellico. Many fixed docks are under water. Highest lake levels in years.