115 SHO No Power

I posted this in the Triton section but thought this might be a better place as i was thinking it was a prop issue but i believe it is a horsepower issue instead.

Brand new Triton 179 TRX with 115 SHO propped with an 18P stainless, completed 2 hours of the break in period, next step was to get it on plane and vary rpm's. Boat takes at least 200 yards to get on plane and rpm's stay around 2000 -2800 until it planes out and then reaches a max rpm of 4600 at 32 MPH. After some research i am wondering if it is the shift position switch not operating correctly and cutting out cylinders when put into gear. Thoughts?

I have put a call into the dealer but if its a switch or something simple, i would prefer not to take the 5 hour drive to him.

Thanks guys!

2. Member
    To me it sounds like it’s not opening up full throttle or it has a completely wrong prop. I would first look at the throttle cable and see if it’s getting wide open

3. Member
    I should have mentioned that i did check the throttle and it opens all the way.

As far as prop goes it sounds as if most people with this boat are running 21, so i would think it should build more rpm's with the 18. If i plug my numbers into different prop charts they don't have suggestions on size and one of them suggested a 10-12 which i know isnt right.

4. Member
    If its brand new then take it back to the dealer. Something is not right.

5. Member
    Just trying to avoid a 5 hour drive back to the dealer.
    I did check the switch and it is working, i knew it wouldn't be that easy.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roboz View Post
    Just trying to avoid a 5 hour drive back to the dealer.
    I did check the switch and it is working, i knew it wouldn't be that easy.
    I totally get that!

7. Member
    Any Yamaha dealer should be able to check your motor under warranty. Just happened to think check all your plug wires to make sure they are all getting spark.

8. Member
    Thanks jjtriton, so this is what i did. I called Yamaha the closest dealer is Las Vegas, not bad about an hour and a half away.

I never really got the primer bulb to pump up hard, so i disconnected the fuel line from the filter on the motor pumped it about 10-12 times with shots of air and fuel coming out but nothing consistent, another 8 pumps and solid fuel finally. So i reinstalled the line and pumped it up to hard. I also took off the individual coil packs and checked for spark, they all checked out. I also pulled plugs and did a quick check while i was there.

Took it out Saturday and it ran awesome! Did another hour or so of break in and testing and it worked perfect the whole time.

Airlock in the fuel system?? Got done at the lake and checked the bulb when i got home and 2 pumps and it pumped right up. Before this i could squeeze that damn thing until i was blue in the face and it wouldn't pump up, but it would start and run, just not good.

9. Member
    My thoughts . throttle not fully open. too much prop, engine mounted too low... something is not right for sure. What brand prop is it?

10. Member
    Curious about this one. Did you find the solution?

11. Member
    I dont know if it is the solution but it is working fine now...see post above.

12. Member
    That's good news. Enjoy your new engine.

13. Member
    When you purchase a new yamaha the dealer does what's called a PDI (pre delivery inspection). They have to in order to register your outboard. None of this should have happened to you had the PDI been properly done. I'm sorry how your new boat experience began. Glad you got her figured out. Enjoy the new ride.

14. Member
    I was an auto tech for Ford in my earlier years. PDI are only as good as the tech doing them! If you wanted you can do virtually nothing and just check down the PDI list from the manufacturer. If you get paid flat rate (piece work) you could get paid more because you could save time. I knew a tech or two that used to milk PDI for all they where worth. They would take 10 minutes to do PDI and get flat rate pay of 1.5 hours. Unfortunately everybody isn't at the same level of honesty and integrity in this world.