Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the best way to charge my Lithium setup?

I have ordered 4 new 100AH Lithium batteries for my boat. I have 3 that will run my 112 Ultrex and 1 that will be my starting/electronics battery. They are all identical batteries and according to where I bought them from they will all work for their specific purchase. My question is how should I properly charge them? I was advised by the company that a 10 amp charger is better than a 15 amp charger for these batteries. I was looking at getting a 4 bank Dual Pro Sportsman as it is a 10 amp per bank charger. Should I get a 4 bank charger or should I charge the trolling motor batteries off a 3 bank and do something different with the start battery? Will the charge coming from the engine affect this battery in any way? If anyone else has this set up and would share how they are charging their batteries I would appreciate any advice.

2. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    If true that their Li-Ion battery cannot well tolerate a small 15 amp charger bank, ask them why they are selling their batteries to recreational bass boaters having outboards with 50 amp alternators.

3. Member
    Dual pro has them already configured for the lithium profile. I sent mine back to them to have the charger reprogrammed for the lithium algorithm. There are options out there for them.

4. Member
    They didn't say it wouldn't handle the 15 amp charger. They just said the 10 amp charger is better. Lithiums don't take very long to charge.

5. Member
    Amps out must be replaced by amps in. And 10 amps in is going to take longer than 15 amps in.

6. Member
    The dual pro 4 bank with a lithium profile should be your best bet.

7. Member
    The Dual Pro 4 bank reprogrammed for Lithium will work great also I would not go with the Pro Mariner Elite 36 Quad. I used this charger with Relion 100ah & 50ah and it worked flawless with the Blue Plug insert to change the profile included in the box.

http://www.promariner.com/en/52038
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

8. Member
    IS there any affect on the start battery? I mean the big motor will be charging it while it is running. I was curious if I should just do a 3 bank for the trolling batteries and a separate charger for the start/electronics battery. Maybe I am making it too complicated???

9. Member
    Also eying Lithiums's and had some of the same thoughts. Since these batteries like to be charged, then turn it off (at least what seems to be the recs) Does the Dual Pro / Pro Mariner shut off after charged, or go into a trickle / float mode. I don't want to overthink them, but for the $$ involved, would want to treat them properly

10. Member
    Flatsboy, did the Pro Mariner Elite 36 Quad performed well or did the Dual Pro 4 bank perform better than the Pro Mariner? I have not used either charger with lithiums. I have used the Dual Pro for many years for AGM. I was having the same issues with getting four lithiums or getting three lithiums and an AGM for the outboard. I was not sure (it is an older Yamaha outboard) if the output from my engine would be compatible with the lithium while I am running.

11. Member
    If you have or are getting a charger that is compatible with lithium batteries, I would go with the 4 bank. Once you have a charger that is compatible, the only major difference that I have read is unlike lead acid, lithiums like to be stored at about 40% State of Charge.
    D-Dubya

2003 Skeeter ZX225
    Yamaha VZ225HPDI
    Humminbird 898c SI
    Hummingbird 858c DI

12. Member
    Use what the holder of your batteries warranty tells you to charge with. Most say if you have an AGM charger you should be good to go. I know Relion is supplying a charger with a battery and I think they will have a charger for the battery system if you buy it from them. The Idea is longevity with lithium and the long warranty some have. Follow their requirements. Bob

13. Member
    Most of the LiFePO4 batteries recommend a charge amperage about half of the amp hour capacity.(100 AH battery would like a 50 amp charger) The limit is the total Amp hour rating. Less is fine also. They do charge much faster than Lead acid.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayoufellow View Post
    Flatsboy, did the Pro Mariner Elite 36 Quad performed well or did the Dual Pro 4 bank perform better than the Pro Mariner? I have not used either charger with lithiums. I have used the Dual Pro for many years for AGM. I was having the same issues with getting four lithiums or getting three lithiums and an AGM for the outboard. I was not sure (it is an older Yamaha outboard) if the output from my engine would be compatible with the lithium while I am running.
    They performed great. I installed the Pro Mariner Elite om my last boat the Dual Pro came with the new boat & battery package. The Pro Mariner Elite is way lighter and not as deep made mounting easier. They both charge well. The Pro Mariner is a smart charger so when one battery needs more it give it to it and when one is completed first like your starting battery it take that voltage and applies it to the other banks. The Dual Pro is all independent banks and will not do this. The Dual Pro gets hotter for sure no fan like the Pro Mariner does & charges faster due to 15 amps per bank also I believe it is cheaper.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

15. Member
    I have been using MinnKota 460PC set to AGM for over a year. Charges 3 14v 50ah lithiums and 1 12v group 31 AGM to run a 36v TM and 250 ProXS. Am on water couple times a week every week and have never had a problem.

As a side note, 3 100AH is likely way overkill for you. I have never run out of juice on my 50ah including holding in current all day below dam. Also, lifepo4 is not a good match for cranking battery as the battery technology is geared for slow discharge not fast discharge regardless of the manufacture. Just a matter of time before you have problems using it as a cranking battery.
    Last edited by mrc; 02-23-2019 at 09:18 AM.

16. Member
    Your 50 ah batts are about equal to 3 100 ah lead acid for runtime. If you are positioning your boat with your TM that is about right. If you use your batteries for trolling all day(5 or 6 on a scale of 10) you will only get 6 or 7 hours on an a 112 # thrust motor. Where you will get 10 or more hours on Lithium 100's. The way you fish does make a difference. That difference will cost twice as much also but there is a benefit. If you have new large screen fish finders they will draw 3 amps or better also so that is 60 amp hours for 2 so the 4 th 100 amp battery still has to start the motor also. Not overkill but insurance in my opinion. Bob

17. Member
    Your 50 ah batts are about equal to 3 100 ah lead acid for runtime.
    Despite what some Lithium manufacturer's salesmen seem to claim....

Three ~50 AH capacity lithium ions would be able to deliver about the same runtime as three 60AH lead acid AGMs such as the Odyssey brand.....the virgin lead AGMs like these can repeatedly deliver 80% of their capacity.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 02-23-2019 at 07:01 PM.

18. Member
    Flatsboy, thanks for your help. I need to replace my DualPro charger, and I was looking at the ProMariner as a possible replacement.

19. Member
    The problem with lead acid (that includes AGM)is if you discharge more than 50% you are shortening the number of charge cycles available in the batteries. Most only have 4 to 500 charge cycles to begin with. LiFePo4 lithium batteries can be discharged to 80% and still have 4 to 5000 charge cycles.

20. Member
    Actually the mentioned AGMs per the manufacturer's published test data deliver about the life cycles you cited even when using up 80% of their capacity. An avg 2 trips/month for two days each trip would provide over 8 years of use for a rec boater.

In 8 years none of us are going to be choosing to run lead acids or lithium ions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast