Hope I do better today

Snow removal around the house is always a PIA, but I have equipment to make the job easier. What makes things worse is when we get sleet and freezing rain on top of the snow.

Move the snow too early and the freezing rain coats everything and can't be moved without salt or chemicals. Wait too long to move the snow and the freezing rain on top of it makes a heavy mess (at best) or a big chunk of ice that is even worse to deal with.

Last storm we had I didn't do it right. Moved the snow just as the sleet started. We got more sleet than the forecast had called for and I wound up with a 2" frozen layer of it on the drive and walks. Luckily the temps weren't too bad and it was gone in a couple of days. I should mention that the upper portion of the driveway is in the shade so the sun doesn't get to it to help melt.

Same kind of forecast for today. I am going to wait until the sleet changes to freezing rain and then move the snow. Forecast is for about 5" of snow and a coating of sleet and freezing rain, then changing to all rain with temps rising.

Hopefully I do it right and don't have a mess tomorrow morning.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I know your pain

3. Banned
    And I get pissed when I have to mow the lawn once a week.... pass on the ice removal.

4. Member
    Mowin sucks less when you watch the weather of other areas.

5. Member
    I'm retired I just watch it melt ! then I go out to see if I can see my shadow!

6. Member
    I have a rather nifty 24" path snowblower, electric start.. If the snow isn't cold, and if it's dense it just clogs up the double action high performance screws and chute.

Thought I was set too. Last week's combination of snow and frozen rain on top blew out my auger/impeller belt. It's out of stock every where. Due to be shipped in March?
    Same type storm due today.

8. Member
    Going through a lot of sand this year to get up and down the driveway for the exact reasons in the OP. Snow followed by rain. If it was zero before the snow fell, it doesn't matter that its 35-40 when you clear the driveway. That water is gonna freeze like glaze on a donut.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdda9yh View Post
    Thought I was set too. Last week's combination of snow and frozen rain on top blew out my auger/impeller belt. It's out of stock every where. Due to be shipped in March?
    Same type storm due today.
    Yes, that is why I had decided to get rid of the snow before the icy stuff got on top.

I feel for you. Can't win in this weather.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

10. Banned
    Yeah I got it wrong with the last two storms I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with this one yet. They do want it close to 50 tomorrow though so I might just wait.

11. Member
    Well it switched to rain now, so Ill just pack it down with my Denali and let it melt tomorrow in the 50s

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    Well it switched to rain now, so Ill just pack it down with my Denali and let it melt tomorrow in the 50s
    Just cleared our driveway with the snowblower.

This year I have had cut the grass and shovel snow In the
    same week.