Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving to a 919 and a little scared

Moving from a 2004 Skeeter tzx 190 to a 2016 919 pro. I’ve read all the forums about chine walk and even saw a video where someone spun out of the boat as they moved to the outside of a wake.

What scares me is that I took my Skeeter out of the lane of the wake at full speed all of the time and it didn’t act like it was going to spin out. I fish the Potomac all of the time and have wakes like that a lot. I’ve had bass boats for 18 years (never above 62 mph) and thought I knew how to drive ok. The performance I’m going to be getting out of the 919 makes me think I’m in trouble.

Outside of seat eat time and reading about set-ups and boat loads I’m a tad worried. I’ve taken my foot off of the hot foot before hitting a wake with no issue, but from what I’ve read that is a no-no bec the nose might dive. How much trouble am I in for? I just want to live long enough to get to my spot but have fun doing it.

What at do you do instead of just getting off the hot foot Completely? I know we’ve all run into a wake we haven’t seen and instinctively get off the gas.

Someone should offer a class. 😂

love reading the forum.

2. Scraps
    They do chine walk. My 819, same hull, does and even after three seasons I don't know how to handle it. That said, you'll find lots of stories of guys that have learned to drive through it and can drive with one hand on the wheel. So it can be done by the common man. The 919 will feel BIG for a 19ft boat and will do as well as any Bass Cat on the Potomac and maybe even better with the TM down.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

You're way over thinking it. The chine will only happen around 65ish. When it does just bump the motor trim down a tad until it stops. Eventually, you will learn to drive through it and it will be second nature.. As far as boat wakes, if I'm following a boat and getting out of their wake. Trim down and ease to 75% throttle then roll over wake. If you are going to hit a wake perpendicular. you have to "read" it. If it's a 3 footer or bigger, come off plane, trim motor up and give 15% throttle. This will raise the bow and you wont spear it.

4. Member
    Dont be worried. No you wont be able to jump in and drive it to its top potential but you should get 69-72 before it starts walking if it's set up really good. But you dont have to drive it that fast. Crossing wakes wont be a big deal just dont go full bore trimmed out at a weird angle but it's easy, just use common sense. As far as chopping the throttle when your trimmed out trying to get wot you dont want to just drop the throttle if it starts walking, just trim down. That said I've dumped my throttle once when running 70 or a hair more and it didnt spin but it was really close. Learned a lesson on that one.

5. Member
    most people are surprised at how well the phoenix hulls cross wakes.

6. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Dont be worried. No you wont be able to jump in and drive it to its top potential but you should get 69-72 before it starts walking if it's set up really good. But you dont have to drive it that fast. Crossing wakes wont be a big deal just dont go full bore trimmed out at a weird angle but it's easy, just use common sense. As far as chopping the throttle when your trimmed out trying to get wot you dont want to just drop the throttle if it starts walking, just trim down. That said I've dumped my throttle once when running 70 or a hair more and it didnt spin but it was really close. Learned a lesson on that one.
    Certainly don't want the prop losing it's "bite." That can be real scary and create seconds of panic with no control. I do remember crossing a barge wake years ago in a new Ranger 461, too fast and trimmed to high, and nearly stood the boat up vertically. Straight to the ramp to change my shorts.
    2017 Phoenix 819

Do not let off the throttle, trim down and it will settle. Letting off the throttle like said above....you can spin it. I have had mine since November ‘17. Still learning but I can get up there now (70’s consistently). I did not drive “through” it. Stop it before it starts. I get her going then little “Jabs” to the left. Pretty much constantly. Once she starts rocking, trim down and start over. Keep the throttle open, trimming down will settle her. Then bump trim back up and start over. They do not like a lot of trim. Too much and you will chine real quick. When on plane get up to about 50 and start bumping trip up, small bumps. Ain’t no class other then your butt in your seat. You can be shown but until you “feel” it and stop it before it happens, it’s gonna happen.

The 919 is a perfect set up in my opinion, you can scream, take rough water and when you trim down a bit she sticks the corners with no skipping. Good luck man, enjoy your boat.
    2018 Phoenix 919, Mercury 225 Pro XS
    2016 Triton 179TrX, Mercury 115 4s
    1995 Bass Tracker 175Pro, 40hp Force
    1985 Bass Tracker 1800 Johnson 150 (I called it the lead sled)

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    its always good to be a little scared because it keeps you alert, I always figured fearless would eventually get you hurt. as for the solution to what you mentioned the trim is your friend, it only takes a couple of bumps to drop the bow then you can back off the petal, you say you have been running 62, well even 65 will feel slow in that 919 and not likely to chine or spin out at that speed even doping the throttle completely, its not on pad until bout 72. The 919 drives more like a sports car, it can turn on a dime with out spinning out, handles the rough stuff great and has more power than most care to use, the good thing is you dont have to go wide open all the time.
    setup and seat time is important, this forum can help with the setup, seat time is all on you,
    Get you a Phoenix, you will be pleased.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

9. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Here is the 919 setup for easy driving, and a sample of it handling some boat wakes on blast off.

Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

10. Member
    Coming from an 18'6" champion, my 819 scared the hell out of me when I first got it. Now driving it is second nature and I don't think about it. Seat time.. just learn to makes small corrections as it starts and then it doesn't walk. Just tweaks as you're running down the lake.

Doesn't take years to learn IMO, after 4-5 trips I was used to how it handled.

11. Member
    Good video's. Is that Eastland your taking off from? That lake level is low. I fish Kerr a fair bit.

Thanks for all the replies. I can guarantee you will hear more from me after the first trip or two regarding set-up. Super excited to get the boat (so much I sold a 69 camaro to do so) but also have a healthy respect for what it can do. I am sure going from the 18.5 Skeeter will be night and day.

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deluxejunk View Post
    Good video's. Is that Eastland your taking off from? That lake level is low. I fish Kerr a fair bit.

Thanks for all the replies. I can guarantee you will hear more from me after the first trip or two regarding set-up. Super excited to get the boat (so much I sold a 69 camaro to do so) but also have a healthy respect for what it can do. I am sure going from the 18.5 Skeeter will be night and day.
    we went out of Flemingtown Ramp to a right headed for the islands

I gave up a 69 Camaro for fishing one time
    info@drewcraft.com

13. Member
    I still have my '69 AMX. :-) And on my '15 919 SHO when I dump the throttle at full nasty violent chine at 72 to 74 mph it doesn't even come close to spinning, the only times it's tried to spin is when I've kept my foot in the throttle. Take my foot out of it and it just settle down and stops rockin and rollin. Then I try again. Had it try to spin 3 times on one run down the lake at about 72 to 74 mph.

Oh, and trimming down the motor a couple few bumps does absolutely nothing, same when I trim it WAY down while chine walking bad.
    Last edited by Tom Edwards; 02-20-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

14. Member
    I came out of a Ranger 188. It was as stable as an aircraft carrier but on a good day I might break over 60 mph. When I first picked up the boat the main guy at the marina took me out and spent some time explaining chine walk and how to deal with it. with 2 people and little effort 75 mph was easily seen. I quickly learned to never drop the throttle but trim down a bit if it starts to walk. Another thing he mentioned was that these boats like to have a little more weight in the back and if I fish alone to fill the port live well. Now I am not sure that is always needed but I do know that I can drive this boat 70 mpg all day long and not fell freaked out. I also changed to a 4 blade prop which made a big difference to cornering. I have a 225 HO ETEC and these motors do like to run high in the water so it also helps out in rough water. All I can say is the 919 meets my every need and I smile ear to ear every time I run down the lake. It is a great platform for my needs. Get one and don't look back. I also need to mention that the Phoenix service is absolutely the best in the business and will always be there to answer questions. And boy I had some doozies LOL
    Risen From The Ashes!!

15. Member
    Tom Edwards, I wish I could have kept the camaro. Space and priorities...

Your experience at dumping the throttle and not spinning defies what I have read about the Phoenix boats, but is exactly the way my Skeeter behaved. I guess I will see once this shoulder surgery heals (torn labrum, torn rotator cuff, detached bicep muscle).

Great feedback guys. I have followed the BBC forum for 10 years but under different names because I always forget my sign on info.

16. Member
    My '88 Ranger 360V never chine walked until I had a 175 Optimax installed in place of the 150 Mariner Magnum. Then it took a long time to get it settled down. WAY too much stern lift with the Opti, and not enough bow lift. At the time I couldn't afford a new/different prop, or to have the stock Mercury prop done. The 360's top speed was 69 with all gear and 2 people. Nowadays that boat just has the bow circling at full speed and no real chine walk. I've had the 360 for 30 years come March '19.

And I haven't driven the AMX in 3 or 4 years, I've been thinking of selling it. Just today paid for the ins. for the next year.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

She won't get sketchy until you hit 75. A few bumps down and let off the pedal. If you stay around 70, you'll have no problems. She's a sports car that will turn as hard as you can stat in it w/o knifing or spinning out.

18. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I was in the same boat as the OP....came out of a 05' Skeeter SX 190 and driving it you didnt need any hands....my 619 was my first boat with those speeds and had the walk....it was a little scary at first but after you figure out how to work the walking, it was no issue.....i must have mine on the exact sweet spot cause im like Drew, i can remove hands for several seconds and its smooth as can be and then it will have a small rock to it.....Its like running on rails!!!!

Worry about breaking in the motor first and then once you get past those 10 hrs. start the process of learing the boat, what it does at certain speeds and handling the walking......i never had a "feeling" that it would spin out but if i'm going from high speeds to slowing i'll trim down and slowly let off the hot foot, not dump it.....

I thought you controlled walking by shifting the wheel left to right but was all wrong until i talked to my neighbor and he told me how to do it and figured it out there.....so if i can learn it, anyone can......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

19. Scraps
    I'm wondering how much the way the load is distributed helps the chine. I put way too much tackle up front which is odd coming out of a Ranger. One of my projects is to better organize tackle and reduce the amount I carry.
    2017 Phoenix 819

20. Member
    I currently own a 819, my previous boat being a Bass Cat Eyra. While this boat is 7-8 mph slower than the Eyra, it has been the easiest boat to learn to drive that I've owned. As mentioned above, load distribution plays a fair role. Never had any hint of a walk when fully loaded. I would get a touch as I was squeezing all I could out of it, with very light loads (72.2 is the best I've seen). Adding stern weight (power poles) seems to have helped with bow lift, made it more stable on pad, but taken 1.5-2mph off the top. I can barely touch 70 now with 1 person and 1/2 fuel.
    The boat rides and handles much bigger than it's size. You won't be disappointed!
    2015 Phoenix 819

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast