Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

Need Ideas > Color Paint for Living Room and Dining Room.

I am washing walls Friday (tips) so everything is in process of going to other rooms or away from walls- almost.... I have light redish rug. I want color of paint that appeals to everyone(in case we move in 2 years) or just looks good for living room and connecting dining room and down hallway to bedrooms. Walls and ceiling.. Straight painting > No sponge techniques etc...Just looking for ideas when looking for paint colors...There must be 100 different whites, colors > mood and for light/bigness too. Thanks. websites ? =

2. Banned
    Egg shell... Dan

All the builders use Agreeable Grey.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

4. Banned
    Good start.. I remember long long time ago when I painted apartments- I think we used egg shell and ceiling white every day all day...Agreeable Grey seems like a good possibility...If builders use it- it must appeal to most people.. Post your colors BBC >

5. Member
    Some type of sand color would look good with red and is neutral. I think we used SW Mexican Sand in our bathroom but I'd go lighter than that for a basement.

BTW sand is aka beige

Just built our new house last summer and went with grey but then again just about every new house being built here is some shade of grey. We really do like it though. It is Sherwin Williams "Greystone" if you're interested, with white trim.

7. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Ask your wife... that should be good for about a two week discussion and enough paint chip samples to cover the walls.

Then you won't have to paint.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

8. Member
    Egg Shell for certain. Stuff is like glue. When we did the indside of our home we went to home depot and got the 3 dollar samples. Ended up with 15 samples and I am glad we did. I picked a wall and put them all side by side. A lot of them dried vice what the paint looked like in the can. Now I have 15 small cans of paint. LOL

Something neutral, when someone goes into a white or light gray room they say to themselves I can paint this room this color or that, if they walk into a room that's black or pink or orange they say, Ooooh I'm going to have to paint this room. And check the color in the sunlight. My mom and dad built a house just before I graduated high school, I picked out a sandle wood color(light tan) in the natural sunlight coming through the windows it looked pink. And of coarse I didn't notice it until my friends came over to see the new house.

10. Banned
    I Value everyone's posts and suggestions. Time to hit the hay > looks like snow on the morning drive...

11. Member
    Grey is timeless.

12. Banned
    Would be very helpful if you could post pictures of your rooms and current decor. My girlfriend does design for people on the side. She does everything from pick out furniture, decorations to colors for everything. She has a very good eye. If you can post some pics I’ll see if she can look at them.

13. Member
    Actually there is over 100 shades of white. Seriously. For the ceiling, S/W flat 200 pro mar with 4 oz of white pigment. It will cover great and will be a nice soft white. For the walls with a possibility of moving, you want to stay neutral colors with a flat finish,, unless you have children.. Your best bet is to take a cell photo (close photo) of the carpet and take it to the store. Many stores (S/W) have someone with a decorating back ground that can give you some color choices. Is trim stained or painted?? this will matter of the color/shade choice. Stop in at a S/W and talk with them. Forget using this color or that color. Finding a color that will work with the carpet will be the challenge.
    And why are you washing walls?? Bored??
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 02-19-2019 at 10:38 PM.

I came up with a beautiful very light brown by mixing three colors. Sherwin Williams has the paint code if you’re interested in having a sample made. Lots of my friends have copied it and it goes with every color.

15. Member
    Benjamin Moore HC-45 Shaker Beige

Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    Grays are in. I'm redoing condo and the whole place is a light gray with a 2 shade darker gray for accent walls.
    Remember when it was Antique White? White in daylight and beige in low light. That color was in every new house from the late 80's to early 2000's.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    Yes that has been a hot color. Decorators are now going back to the 50s colors with orange and blues also. Agreeable gray can change to a green shade with some lighting. At one hospital it took us 25 years to get all the hospital 3 colors. When the entire hospital was 3 colors they changed colors. Agreeable gray was one of them. Women like it though, many were asking for the name of the color. Getting something to work with his carpet will be the problem

18. Banned
    When I drive past car dealerships today, I see rows and rows of white, silver and gray cars. When I go through model homes, I see the same colors.

My wife and I want colors with some kick--in our personal cars and in our home. Our living room and our dining room are a deep cherry red eggshell finish. When I turn on bright lamps around the outside of the room, the color is simply amazing. Both the dining room and living room have handmade Turkish rugs that we bought while we were in Ephesus in shades of red.

Our last home in Atlanta also had red walls and a pale yellow below a chair rail. That colors are what sold the house for list price to the third person that looked at it.

19. Banned
    Go look at colors and choose what YOU like. We have white ceilings with gray walls, and I like it. It matters not what others think, only what you think. Get some samples and put them out, then choose what you prefer.

Our daughters bedrooms were colors they liked, and ours is a light blue. Our oldest's bedroom was painted to look like a cross section of the sky to the depths of the ocean, complete with fish and other creatures. Our youngest had glow in the dark stars on the ceiling to look like the nighttime sky. We have a beach motif, so the blue works. All I can say is choose what you like and own it.
    Last edited by Tom G.; 02-20-2019 at 01:13 AM.

20. Banned
    I will definitely pick a color that brightens up the Rooms that we like and can Live with for several years. My walls have not been painted in 10 years(work/never noticed) and they look Drab. This is why I am washing the walls. I like the Shaker Beige/Light brown color- maybe even a Golden French Fry Color(). My bedrooms have some personality and have nice light/bright happy colors.. Aquatint/Caribbean Breeze, Sky Blue and another is like Golden French Fry Color. The living room needs mass appeal with a slight shot of Sophistication. This is Why I am asking for Suggestions.
    Last edited by Basscaster; 02-20-2019 at 03:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast